Sign in to follow this  

Clutch dragging, basket not notched

I pulled it apart last night, hoping to pull the basket and file the edges a bit to make it last longer, but when I ran my finger along every edge, I never felt any notching at all. When you look at it, you can see some slight discoloration, but nothing you can feel. My clutch play at the bar is about 1/8".

Here's some pics

Clutch1.JPG

Clutch2.JPG

Clutch3.JPG

Any ideas what could be causing my clutch to drag?

Thanks

A sticky cable or bad springs. I have had both happen to me at one point or another.

Check the inner hub too, also, have you switched trans oil?

Sounds like a spring which lost it's heat-treat/temper.

Only takes 300 degrees for an instant.

If you have discoloration that would be my first guess. Do a spring check. Then a summer check, and remember autumn when it comes around.

Check the other side of the engine where the clutch cable goes in. I have seen some parts over on that side wear out.

Blue,

Was your bike sitting for a while before you noticed the clutch dragging? If I let my 250F sit for over a week or 2 the clutch plates stick together. My mechanic told me to put something on the clutch lever to pull it in just a little bit to separate the plates. Don't pull the lever so much that it will compress your clutch springs too far. Do this if the bike is going to sit for a while.