Sign in to follow this  

such thing as air filter sack/bag/cover ? goes over it?

Hi,

i started riding in some trails up north, but they are very very very dusty. I heard some fo the guys up there talking about how they use some type of air filter sack/bag, i guess it slides over the filter, for extra dust protection? Anyone know what they are called, and where i could buy one?

thanks alot

filter skinz.

Or panty hose, which are cheap, readily available and just as effective.

Filter Skinz are available in the TT Store.

They are quite a bit different than panty hose. I haven't seen any tests but I would be surprised if panty hose were as good.

I got mine from PC racing and highly recommend any type of filter skin, it saves cleaning air filters big time. I clean my skin every ride and my filter gets cleaned every 6-10 rides. I only clean it for reasurance that it's clean cuz my filter never gets dirty with the filter skins.

They are quite a bit different than panty hose. I haven't seen any tests but I would be surprised if panty hose were as good.

Desert riders and sand duners have been using panty hose for years.

another vote for filter skins from pc racing. i been using them for years, i can't stand cleaning filters. it just to damn messy even with rubber gloves

Desert riders and sand duners have been using panty hose for years.

So? :eek:🙂

Like I said, I haven't seen any tests and would STILL be surprised if they are as good. If panty hose works for you, have at it :applause:

Doesn't really matter if they're as good or not.

You don't run them for the race

You run them for your practice, maybe some of the earlier heats.

When it's time for the knobbies to meet the dirt, you yank it off and you have a FRESH, CLEAN filter.

You clean the filter after every race day.

So? :eek:🙂

Like I said, I haven't seen any tests and would STILL be surprised if they are as good. If panty hose works for you, have at it :applause:

It works for a lot of riders and has for decades (yeah, I've been riding that long). The point is that sometimes the best solution isn't always the one with some company's logo on it. Dirt biking is an expensive sport and a lot of riders find ways to reduce their costs that are every bit as good as some manufactured part. Desert riders in particular are good at finding low-cost alternatives mainly because of the many miles they ride, the abuse their bikes withstand and the chance that they may often find themselves miles from anywhere. If you're the type that needs "tests" before you spend your money, that's fine. But many riders like myself can take a walk around the pits at a race or look at other bikes we ride with and figure out what does and doesn't work. It's usually an idea like panty hose over the filter that sprouts into a product like Filter Skins several years later. That doesn't mean the manufactured product is better than the old rider's fix, just that someone saw the potential of the idea and took it to market. Sometimes they improve upon the basic idea and/or add other features. Sometimes it's just another way to get a logo on a bike.

Doesn't really matter if they're as good or not.

You don't run them for the race

You run them for your practice, maybe some of the earlier heats.

When it's time for the knobbies to meet the dirt, you yank it off and you have a FRESH, CLEAN filter.

You clean the filter after every race day.

Good points. Personally, I only use an over-filter when I ride in extremely dusty conditions or on the sand dunes. Everything you put in front of your filter is a restriction, no matter how small. The only way a pro would use a product like this is if it would make the difference between winning and losing a race, not just to make his mechanic's life easier. Those of us who care about how long our engines last and can't afford regular teardowns are more apt to use an over-filter when needed.

Remember the "pet rock" back in the late 70s? There's been a lot of "rebadging" and super slick high tech inventions that were no more effective than bailing wire, duct tape and panty hose...but sold a ton because they had a company logo and a guarantee.

Remember the "pet rock" back in the late 70s? There's been a lot of "rebadging" and super slick high tech inventions that were no more effective than bailing wire, duct tape and panty hose...but sold a ton because they had a company logo and a guarantee.

My point exactly. I came into this sport when sponsorships and name-brand products were in their infancy. Riding with desert guys in the early '80s, I learned a lot of things that make riding easier and more enjoyable, many costing next to nothing. Today, the market is aimed at youngsters who gobble up brand-name goods, some simply because they have an impressive logo. Some products benefit from improvements over what many of us have used for years, but a lot of them are just an easy way to separate you from your cash. IMO, the over-filter is just such a product. Riders and racers have been using panty hose for years with no negative repercussions. I'm glad that there are commercial products available to do the same thing, but just because they have a logo on them doesn't necessarily make them any better. If you want to spend your money, go right ahead, but if money is important to you then just ask mom for a pair of her old panty hose and save the $$ for something more important. :applause: