Sign in to follow this  

Bad Valves??

We are having a bit of trouble with our 250R. We just had the bike 3months now and we already put piston and ring, valves,gasgeks ect on twice. Now we are running into the same problem again. We might have 10hours on the bike this time. Last week we checked the clearance on the valves and both sides we could fit a 5 under but no 6 so we were happy. Then a week later maybe 3 more hours on it we can only fit a 4 on one side and nothing on the other. Is there something were doing wrong? Or is this normal to hafta changing the valves this often. We are only running a Beginner class so the bike is not being run too too hard. :applause::eek:

Thanx to any help!

I would say you're dropping dirt into the airbox when you change the filter.

When i clean mine I use a flashlight to make sure none has dropped in before I put the filter in. I also clean out the airbox befoe i put the filter in.

My bike has 74 hours, original valves and one piston change at 50hrs with new intake springs and had the valve seats touched up.

When you do change the valves be sure to replace the springs too. OEM springs are only about $4 a piece because thet may be part of the problem too.

It seems that you have one of the mysterious ones that just won't stay in spec. You may want to try aftermarket valves and springs.

We are having a bit of trouble with our 250R. We just had the bike 3months now and we already put piston and ring, valves,gasgeks ect on twice. Now we are running into the same problem again. We might have 10hours on the bike this time. Last week we checked the clearance on the valves and both sides we could fit a 5 under but no 6 so we were happy. Then a week later maybe 3 more hours on it we can only fit a 4 on one side and nothing on the other. Is there something we're doing wrong? Or is this normal to hafta changing the valves this often. We are only running a Beginner class so the bike is not being run too too hard. :applause::eek:

Thanx to any help!

Got a mouse in your pocket? 🙂

Are you changing valves every time it goes out of spec? You know you can put smaller shims to get the clearance back into spec. Not trying to insult you or anything, but your post looks like you are changing valves everytime. And like TJ says, change the valve springs when you do change the valves.

What gas are you running? Do you run "city gas" (oxygenated)? Bad gas can take the coating off the intake valves.

I rode mine for 1.5 years (2004 CRF250X) until I had to change the intake valves. Once they start to pull out of adjustment by any sort of serious margin you will have to replace the intakes.

I have heard the 2006 bikes will have a better seating material. Also check your seals from your air box into your carb.

Good luck,

RAD DAD

Thanx guys.. This time we are going to change the springs and only the one valve and hope it never damaged the head. I will know more about it tonight because thats when its getting into the shop, but meaning "We" was me and my dad.We are using supreme gas from the gas station. Thanx again for you help

Nick

Hey, I'm from Ripples, just outside of Minto towards fredericton!Actually just got home from Fredericton.

I'm having the exact same problems... I can get about 2-3 reshims out of a set of valves. In two rides my bike went from a one kick wonder to impossible to start. Had to replace a 185 with a 165. I suspect that I'll need new valves again shortly.

My only hope for this bike is the '06 head. I don't know what to do besides that....

Nicholas