Sign in to follow this  

Can a newbie do the power up kit alone?

I want to do the power up kit for a little more snap, but I've never opened up a carb before. I know my dad would be really mad if I messed up my bike too. So would it be smarter to just have the dealer do the jetting and I just do the stuff myself, or is rejetting something that seems hard but is simple? Also, if I take it to the dealer, are they going to know what the power up kit is or will I have to tell them the jets? And how much will it cost?

You can absolutely do it yourself! I just did it last weekend and I just got my bike like a month and a half ago and I'm not very familiar with a lot of things on it yet but I was able to accomplish jetting all by myself :eek: No help from anyone at all except the Thumpertalk How To print out. I just took the print out and the pictures out to my shed and sat out there and did it. I had a huge boost of self-confidence after I did this just because I had never worked with a carb before. I found it fun to do 🙂 Good Luck! :applause:

-Mary

You can absolutely do it yourself! I just did it last weekend and I just got my bike like a month and a half ago and I'm not very familiar with a lot of things on it yet but I was able to accomplish jetting all by myself :eek: No help from anyone at all except the Thumpertalk How To print out. I just took the print out and the pictures out to my shed and sat out there and did it. I had a huge boost of self-confidence after I did this just because I had never worked with a carb before. I found it fun to do 🙂 Good Luck! :applause:

-Mary

In the same boat as Mary. It's very simple. You should have no problem if you follow 230f's sticky. I'm not sure what your plans for jetting, but I followed Coeshow's advice and used a 120 main, 45 pilot, stock needle with clip in fourth position from the top, and 1.75 turns on the fuel screw. Since I used the stock needle I skipped over that section of the sticky. Keep in mind that you still need to follow the portion of the sticky where you remove the needle. This is necessary to change the clip position. There's nothing to it. Good Luck. Don't forget to remove the exhaust baffle and snorkel.

The dealer offered to do mine for $35. It depends how much your time is worth to you IMO. I did it myself and it was the first time I had jetted a bike. It wasn't that bad. The only way you can mess up is letting dirt get in your carb while it's opened up. Make sure the area above the top of carb is clean before you start. The only part I found tricky was getting the two screws back in that you remove to get to the needle. You really need a magnetized screw driver to make it easy. I you use the stock needle and don't change the clip position it would be a breeze. Also if you ask for the powerup kit you will get the needle and will not get a pilot jet so keep that in mind before you order.