Sign in to follow this  

250 SXF: Gas Cap Leaking ?!?!

While very cool and trick looking, the gas cap is now leaking a bit. Thinking of a home-made gasket..any thoughts? Anybody else noticed it any?

Yeah, mine leaks just a little as well. Not enough for me to do anything about... yet. It may be possible to employ an o-ring. I'll check it out and let you know.

Yeah, mine leaks just a little as well. Not enough for me to do anything about... yet. It may be possible to employ an o-ring. I'll check it out and let you know.
mine does the same thing its no big deal though it only leaks a tiny bit

No this cap doesn't use an o-ring and from what I can tell adding one wouldn't help. It does look like a simple rubber gasket would do the trick though. I am going to try a piece of inner tube as I doubt anything much thicker will fit.

You might need to try something other that innertube rubber, as it will swell when exposed to fuel. I found that out a few years back. A lot of hardware store O-rings are made out off the same thing. It may last fore a little while, but not forever. Look in a McMaster Carr catalog.

Has anyone contacted KTM about the issue. If enough people complain, perhaps they will offer up a fix for free. Perhaps a new gascap?

Has anyone contacted KTM about the issue. If enough people complain, perhaps they will offer up a fix for free. Perhaps a new gascap?
its not even bad enough to complain about it just barely leaks.

Agreed. The only way I can really tell it is leaking is that I get dust streaks on the tank. I am looking into it because I am pretty sure it is just a matter of time before it does become an issue. I have a good supply of o-rings (I work with high vacuum equipment) I found that a 2-223 Viton o-ring fits pretty well. I will let you know how it works after I ride this weekend.

The bike I rode last month was one of the magazine test bikes. I thought the cap was cool until I talked to the "holder" of the bike and he mentioned right after I left it started leaking. Being this is a bike that was ridden then published about (favorably), KTM was notified about the problem. Not the first complaint and hopefully there is a fix in the works. The last thing KTM wants is a kick butt bike, with a stupid "easy fix" flaw.