Sign in to follow this  

dirt setup for 05 SM

Hey fellas,

Anyone got a 05 SM and also went ahead and got some dirt rims and tires for it? If so...how do you handle front brakes?

I would like to have a dirt setup for mine... the road tires are fun offroad but I would like to have a set to switch if I was going to do serious offroad, I can see it too.. I bought the bike for a fun commuter but I like it so much I want to use it offroad alot!

I'm not 100% sure but I'd think all you need is a set of wheels with the same size rotors as the SM. (300mm up front 220mm rear I believe)

You know.. I don't think anyone has. Lots of talk, but no one has pulled the trigger. You could be the first. :applause:

Anybody ride both and compare the front brakes? Are the SM's more sensitive than the S's or are they actually less sensitive with more modulation? Aside from the fact that the larger rotor will be more of a target for damage in the woods I'm wondering if the SM front brakes are actually better for trail riding >> (Stoping power, modulation, overheating)

Anybody ever try a SM aggressively in the woods or been able to compare the 2 front brake setups in action?

Ive ridden decent amount offroad with my SM but you can't tell how good the stopping power is because the street front wheel will slip.

From what I do know about brakes I definately think the large rotor would cool better than a smaller dirt version.

But I do think it would also get mangled easier by rocks and such.

I want to do the same thing...Since the SM's forks and swingarm are the same as a RM, I am wondering if you can get RM rims, and trade out the rotor for a larger one?

The swingarm is different on the SM as well? I thought it was only the RM forks and front brakes that were different compared to an S

Is that right? Anybody know if the rear swing arm on the SM is different then the S?

The swingarm is different on the SM as well? I thought it was only the RM forks and front brakes that were different compared to an S

Is that right? Anybody know if the rear swing arm on the SM is different then the S?

Yes. It's off an RM.

well, I dont see an way here without it being pretty darn expensive.

where i'm at now would be maybe... get the SM hubs from suzi, get the excell rim kits, and bend over further for rotors (I don't know if this would be cost effective vs. swapping the rotors.) However I am lazy..lol

throw some 756's and I'm there...

between what that would cost and what I sold my yz250 for I could buy a used 426 or something...lol :applause:

Question will SM rotors bolt up on DRZ S or E hubs?(same thing?)

I personally would be fine with running a 300mm(could be 310 can't remember right now) rotor off road if I , the issue is that the stock rotor is a floating disk. If I smoke a solid disk there is a chance it will bend but with the floating disk you can be pretty sure that if you smoke it off a rock its screwed. So.... ifyou got a 21" front rim and mounted a solid 310mm rotor you would probalby be ok. I figure you have about 8" of clearance all around the rotor, 21" rim, 7"(2x3.5") of tire = 28" - 12" rotor /2 = 8"

damn, now I want to find a 310 solid disk.

Buying a second front disk might be expensive but atleast you have a much less chance of snapping it off, and now being stuck on the trail.

Anybody have any luck with finding a 310mm front solid rotor for the DRZ Hub? I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a second set of wheels for dirt.

Anybody have any luck with finding a 310mm front solid rotor for the DRZ Hub? I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a second set of wheels for dirt.

I was told that you just need to buy the S wheels and that the front rotor being a floating disk was actually better as if you do smoke it off something its more likely to flex and take the impact. And also that the front rotor isn't the one that normally smokes stuff its the rear, which is solid anyways.

There was a post with a picture of an SM with dirt wheels a while back. I thought it looked like crap, but it can be done. Not easily, but it can be done. Do a search and you might find the post.

There was a post with a picture of an SM with dirt wheels a while back. I thought it looked like crap, but it can be done. Not easily, but it can be done. Do a search and you might find the post.

yea, I posted it. do a search on my username and you'll find it.