Sign in to follow this  

FCR39 Shopping List (way long)

Want to take the plunge on a FCR39 for my DRZ and want to be sure I’m ordering the right stuff. I’ve read lots of threads but I’m still fuzzy on some of the details. Please take a look and tell me if you see any glaring omissions. Thanks in advance.

It’s for a 2004 California specification DR-Z400 S, stock exhaust, 3x3 airbox mod with DynoJet needle, spring and Burned jetting. Stock air filter. No other engine mods. Typical riding elevation is between 1000-4000 ft.

I believe I need the following parts:

-The Keihin FCR39 carb (no choke or TPS necessary) from (CPW or Sudco).

-EMM needle on 4th clip.

-38 Pilot Jet

-70 Pilot Air Jet (PAJ) or does the Pilot Air Screw (PAS) replace this?

-158 or 160 Main Jet (MJ)

-Vacuum fitting, hose and clamps from “E” model for fuel line vacuum signal (Ron Ayers).

- “E’ model bellmouth (air filter side) (Ron Ayers)

- “E” model airbox boot (Ron Ayers)

- “E” model intake connector and clamp (cylinder side) (Ron Ayers)

- Adjustable fuel screw (from where?)

General Questions

Should I order from Sudco or Carb Parts Warehouse?

Will either (Sud or CPW) jet to my (Burned) specs?

I believe I need an EMM needle (4th clip). Does this come with either (Sud or CPW) kit?

Or do I need the James Dean needle/jet kit?

I believe a Pilot Air Screw (PAS) comes with either kit. Correct?

Do both the 39mm aluminum intake adapter and 42mm aluminum outlet adapter come with either kit? And do these take the place of the “E” model bellmouth, boots, or connectors listed above?

What Main Air Jet (MAJ) do I need?

I have stock handlebars and no risers, so cables should not be an issue. Correct?

Can I get anything for my used Dynojetted BSR?

I value the wisdom and experience of TT regulars and I thank you for your tolerance and suggestions.

Save yourself the trouble and Call Jeff at Carb parts. 216-635-1099

Tell him your set up and he'll send you the complete kit with the carb jetted for your bike. 1 week to your door. Cost is $495. I just ordered mine 10 mins ago. It will be here monday. Tell him Steve from CT told you to call. :applause:

Save yourself the trouble and Call Jeff at Carb parts. 216-635-1099

Tell him your set up and he'll send you the complete kit with the carb jetted for your bike. 1 week to your door. Cost is $495. I just ordered mine 10 mins ago. It will be here monday. Tell him Steve from CT told you to call. :applause:

Hey fartsmeller or anyone that knows,

Is that complete with all the duct work needed to adapt?

If not >> (anyone that converted an S 36mm model carb to E model 39mm) What was the total cost for brand new carb pre jetted and fitted for the S along with all the needed ductwork/boots so it is just a matter of a "R & R" (remove and replace) swap.

In case you're interested, I put together a list of Kawasaki OEM part numbers if anyone would care to go that way. (I can get a better deal on OEM Kawi parts than I can on Suzuki) All the stuff I got just has a Kawi part number label over the top of the "Suzuki Genuine Parts" label, so it's exactly the same thing anyway.

Here's the list:

Part #, qty, Description: What Kawi calls it in “quotes”, then what I call it.

15003-S011 1 “CARBURETOR-ASSY” 39mm FCR Carb

54012-S011 1 “CABLE-THROTTLE” Cable set (push-pull throttle)

16065-S010 1 “HOLDER-CARBURETOR” Intake boot (carb to head)

92171-S090 1 “CLAMP” Boot clamp (boot to carb)

92005-S006 1 “FITTING” Vacuum fitting for use with S model petcock

11061-S020 1 “GASKET,8.2X14X1” Sealing washer for fitting

14091-S109 1 “COVER” Throttle cable plastic cover

92153-S161 1 “BOLT” Bolt for cover

59071-S006 1 “JOINT,AIR CLEANER” Velocity stack

92055-S085 1 “RING-O,AIR CLEANER” Velocity stack o-ring

92153-S256 2 “BOLT” Velocity stack bolts

14073-S015 1 “DUCT,OUTLET” Intake boot (air box to carb)

92171-S010 1 “CLAMP” Boot clamp (boot to carb)

Here's the jetting I'm going to use as a baseline, as suggested to me by burned, and a list of the Sudco part numbers:

Series 99101-357 main jet

1: 019-131 (#155)

Series N424-25B pilot jet

1: 019-811 (#38)

1: 017-261 (EMM needle)

1: 021-230 (1014-817-2000 Adjustable screw to replace pilot air jet)

1: 021-235 (16052-KM4-0040 Spring for above screw)

1: FMS02 Zip Ty Extended fuel screw. (I ordered this from the TT store at the same time time I ordered my suspension springs)

I also ordered the next size bigger and smaller pilot jets, plus I already had a selection of Keihin main jets all through the 150-160 range. I just listed the 155 main jet part number for your convenience.

To review...

155 main jet

200 main air jet (That's what comes in the OEM carb, so no need to order one)

EMM needle, clip position #3

5/8 turn on the pilot air screw (This is the screw that you use to replace the fixed orifice screw-in pilot air jet)

38 pilot jet

2 turns on the fuel screw

This is baseline jetting with the coast enricher removed. Also, I have the 3x3 hole cut in the airbox top, a Yosh RS3 full system, E model base gasket, and a Hotcams stage 2 intake cam. That's the "new" stage 2, which is the "old" stage 1. (Long story that's explained in other posts if you do a search) I'm sticking with the stock S model exhaust cam. I'm primarily after strong low to midrange power with a decent "hit" to the powerband, and this is what burned suggested that I try. (Many thanks to burned for all the helpful suggestions and jetting specs) :applause:

I have everything together to do the carb swap except the 2 carb boots (Carb to head and airbox to carb) and I'm waiting for Sudco to send me another EMM needle because the 1st one they sent was marked FMM. On the boots, somehow or another the carb to head boot didn't get ordered and the airbox to carb boot was on backorder with about a 30 day ETA. I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing together and try it out.

I recall some threads on this topic in the past--and maybe the drz.info page--saying that the carbs you buy from carbparts or Sudco have no TPS and no choke; the OEM carbs have these items. A lot of TTers have said the TPS is unnecessary, but what about a choke? Seems like a necessary item for cold starts.

Can anyone that has been through the FCR conversion confirm whether the carbs from carbparts or Sudco have a choke and, if not, is it a problem?

Mr Welch- Thanks for the comprehensive list. 🙂 However, I don't think I'll be doing this OEM. Thanks just the same for taking the time to respond. :eek:

Fartsmeller - It's Monday, didja get your stuff :applause: Tell me how it all shakes out, won't you 😛😛