Sign in to follow this  

55 db noise limit?!?!!!

A county ordinance makes motorized vehicle noise illegal when it reaches 55 decibels on a neighbor's property -- about the same level as a conversation.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050621/NEWS/506210304

this article is hilarious!!!! The way i see it, you better never mow youre lawn, turn on an emergency generator, run a power saw, or play youre stereo (at least not next to this old battleaxes house). Im willing to bet a diesel truck starting up could break it. And isnt it farm country out there? how are they gonna run any farm equipment.

All are over 55db. Good luck enforcing this one, its gonna bite everybody in the ass. :applause:

I'm quite sure I can fart 92 DB or higher and I know that I can burp 98.

Glad I live in unincororated Snohomish county.

Eric

exactly!!! How can you ban anything louder than a conversation?

mow youre lawn. ticket.

Dad trying to get the boat running for opening day. ticket.

Have a family reunion. ticket.

Heaven forbid the dreaded generator has to come out. ticket

got any equipment? dont start it. ticket.

if i was her neighbor, i would call the cops everyday on her. Mowed the lawn, its her law, give er a ticket!!

Becareful some jackass up in your neck of the woods my get wind of this and think its a good idea too. Crap like this usually gets passed around like a 3 dollar, well you know. Just got the new issue of the AMA Motorcyclist mag, big write up in there about Riverside county, Calif. They wont even let Geremy McGrath ride on his own property.

not sure how i feel about this one. i think it would be reasonable to have higher limits during specific hours, but i'm not sure what 55db actually sounds like.

i want to see the sherriff enforcing it against lawnmowers, stereos, harleys, old trucks, passing airplanes and high winds also. i am a BIG fan of peace and quiet personally. i used to put the teeny stock pencil-sized exhaust tip back on my klx to ride on the dirt road where i used to live so i wouldn't bug my neighbors, cuz i know the sound of the bike would have bugged me otherwise.

People like Nancy Armstrong should be lynched!! That is the most ridiculous ordinance! All it is going to do is clog the already overwhelmed police department/sheriff's office with stupid complaints! (Most all of them probably from Nancy herself!) Yeah, and what about the lawnmowers, weed wackers, and diesel trucks that are everyday occurrences in a neighborhood? Thurston Co. needs to pull their heads out of their a**es. If your ORV complies with state noise requirements, then you should be good to go.

Anything goes though on the County road. You could put the bikes in the back of the truck and rev the hell out of them for a while in front of their house. Just warming up you know...

On a side note. Standing on my deck in the back yard, mid-day, I get around 78 dbs of noise. Just noise... 55dbs is ludicrous.

did you see on their site that they are going after boats and jetski's next? man i wish i lived in her county.

did you see on their site that they are going after boats and jetski's next? man i wish i lived in her county.

:applause:

They will never be happy. I’ve heard some word of groups that are trying to outlaw mountain bikes, hiking boots, any kind of boat (canoes to cabin cruisers), etc…

I am very tempted to buy the loudest harely I can find and ride up and down the street in front of Nancy Armstrong's house.

How can you ban anything louder than a conversation?

if i was her neighbor, i would call the cops everyday on her. Mowed the lawn, its her law, give er a ticket!!

That would be funny for her and her followers to get cited by their own law. :applause:

this is CORVN's goal"more peaceful neighborhoods and natural areas

safer neighborhoods and natural areas

better enforcement and better laws against ORV nuisances support for ORV use where they will not disturb people, wildlife, land, or water. "

I love the last line, we should all ride indoors

What really gets me is their FAQs section, http://192.211.16.13/z/zita/corvn/faqs.htm

Q: Can't they go somewhere else?
A: Yes. There are designated ORV trails in Capitol Forest and elsewhere.

Except they want to eliminate ORVers there ultimatly as well...

Q: How can we get the laws enforced?
A: Two options: elect a new sheriff, or take the offenders to court. CORVN founders describe our success in court on the Resouces page. Meanwhile, the Sheriff's Office needs to hear about every incident in your neighborhood, even if they won't do anything about it yet. We need to hold law enforcement accountable for enforcing laws. Call 911 or 740-2740.

Yes... Call 911 emergency. Because rape and murder is much less of a nuisance...

Q: Will the Sheriff's Office enforce the new laws?
A: There is little evidence that the Sheriff's Office is willing to enforce laws against ORV nuisances, as many officers actively support these activities and personally enjoy them.

God forbid, people enjoy it, even pillars of the community like the local constable...

These folks are nuts. Good thing they are a minority. For their own gain, they lump themselves in to the "hiker group to appear in court that they represent a larger group then licensed ORVers...

In Washington, the State government estimates that there are more than one million hikers, but only 41,000 licensed ORV users. See if your state has similar data, then use it to educate agency decision-makers on ORV projects. Help them understand the demand for NON-motorized recreation, and the size of the NON-motorized constituency. They already hear from the well-organized ORV industry lobby, and we need to counteract that lobbying.

taken from, http://www.wildlandscpr.org/databases/legalnotes/protecting.html

What a crock.

And these pictures of Land damage... http://192.211.16.13/z/zita/corvn/damage.htm

easy explaination. They only list years, no dates. One picture was taken in May, and the other in October. Spring vs. Fall. Dumb.

I really hate these people. And I will do whatever I can to devalue their organization.

I hate the thought that my son will never have the opertuinitys to ride

in all the beutiful places I have just because some ass

They will never be happy. I’ve heard some word of groups that are trying to outlaw mountain bikes, hiking boots, any kind of boat (canoes to cabin cruisers), etc…

Yea next they'll want it so that the only way you'll be allowed in the woods, is if you wear moccasins and a loin cloth.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050621/NEWS/506210304

this article is hilarious!!!! The way i see it, you better never mow youre lawn, turn on an emergency generator, run a power saw, or play youre stereo (at least not next to this old battleaxes house). Im willing to bet a diesel truck starting up could break it. And isnt it farm country out there? how are they gonna run any farm equipment.

All are over 55db. Good luck enforcing this one, its gonna bite everybody in the ass. :applause:

Greg, its impossible. Everything goes over 55 db. Did you know a conversation between 2 people talking at normal tone is 60 db!

I have a Honda EU2000i generator and under full load, its 59 db and you dont even know its there. This will never fly. It was proposed in that noise ordinance that drew the big rally in Oly also. So it looks like some busy body is trying to recesitate (sp?) the noise issue.

not sure how i feel about this one. i think it would be reasonable to have higher limits during specific hours, but i'm not sure what 55db actually sounds like.

Easy, if you have ever spoke to your family at the dinner table, you are exceeding the 55 db limit by about 5 db.

I have NEVER understood why some people think they have the RIGHT to dictate what other people do with their own free time and money! My favorite rant is about how a camp host at a Forest Service campground raked my friends and I over the coals one time about all the noise from our bikes, while across the way was a loud party, and on one side was a family with screaming kids, and on the other, 3 dogs that barked CONSTANTLY.

If there's going to be noise ordinances, shrieking brats and barking mutts should be corralled under the law too! Even if you're NOT a fan of dirt bikes, those are two of the most annoying sounds ever!

old nancy needs about 100 street legal thumpers in front of her house. Bring the fight to her door. I will be there, any day, any time. Somebody with contacts needs to mobolize the troops.