Sign in to follow this  

Hobble Creek Today July 13

Guess I'm guiding a group of riders around Hobble Creek today around 5 - 5:30pm starting at Kirkham Hollow. There will probably be about 6-7 of us. Tag alongs welcome. Ride till dark

Ugh.... went with 8 riders, 5 of us normally ride together, and the other 3 were invited by my cousin. I guess my definition of an easy trail was misleading to my cousin when he invited his 3 friends. Since my cousin had never ridden this trail he just thought easy ment beginner trail. Thats where the Ugh comes in. The 3 friends he invited were on a YZ125, a YZ250F, and a YZ400. The 250F and 400... the guys couldn't even start their bikes??? Why would guys who can't even start their own bikes come out here to ride??? I had to start the 250F and then he managed to stall it about 40 feet into the trail and had to roll back and have me start his bike to get him going again. At least he faired better than the 400. He only rode about 20 feet from the trail head and he couldn't go any further. He stalled 3 times 20 feeet into the trail and I had to start his bike for him each time... I finally gave up on him and he told me to go on ahead. So I did. About 1/4 mile up the trail the 125 was having troubles getting up the trail. Too tired from trying he turned around and went back to the truck. Another 1/8 of a mile the 250F was on the side of trail stalled out... 3 of us tried to get the 250F started, but to no avail. He even admitted to having bought the new intake cam that gets rid of the compression release.... but he hadn't installed it!!!!! SO the 3 invited friends ended up turning back.

After burning up an hour of our afternoon ride the remaining 5 of us had a good ride. We rode over Kirkman Hollow down to Sawmill Hollow, trail 013. Of all the times I have rode in Hobble Creek that was the first time down Sawmill Hollow... pretty steep bugger. Daylight was scarce so we rode back to the truck on the main road. All in all the riding turned out good for the short time we had.

commando... sawmill is one of my favorites. join us on Saturday. we're riding from Kirkman going down sawmill and then all the way accross to chase creek down to 5th water. about 70+ miles. three of us will be there. all have experience riding this area so we'll keep moving. we're starting at 8:30am.

- Eric

Yeah I wanted to ride up chase but they all thought it was getting too dark... probably because only me and my cousin had headlights :applause: .

I love going up Chase then go right onto center line trail over the two tom hill then stay on center line trail down to 2nd water... then go down cottonwood and head back... Although that one spot on cottonwood gives me the heebie jeebies.

I will probably be camping this weekend in the San Rafael Swell... so I won't be able to make it. Maybe some other time this summer.

3 years ago I had a co-worker who was a "big-time" mountain biker. He kept bugging me to go riding and I thought it would be fun. I borrowed a bike and let him use mine. I was invited on the Highline trail in Logan Canyon (first time riding it so didn't know quite what to expect).

It rained hard just before we got there (a weeknight ride) and about 1/2 mile into the ride my buddy on my bike dumped my bike in a huge puddle/pond completely submerging it in water. That was an omen of things to come for the rest of the night.

I can't tell you how many times I got off and started his bike and rode it up obstacles. We almost got stranded in the dark and he was about to collapse of exhaustion. I remember at one point we stopped and I pulled a Snickers out of my pack and his hands were trembling as I handed it to him. We rode out in total darkness with flashlights. Never again will I invite a newbie on any trail that I consider "easy" :applause:

Needless to say.....he never gave me any of those naive "all you moto guys have to do is twist the throttle" comments. When anyone else in the office started into that, he was the first one to come to my defense :eek:

I'm a little nervous this weekend because we've got a huge group riding some of the same trails in Logan Canyon but I know most everyone and their skill level.

"...then go down cottonwood and head back... Although that one spot on cottonwood gives me the heebie jeebies..."

If you mean the rocky downhill switchback drop into the creekbed and then back up the otherside... then... me too! Nastiest spot on the trail.

Summer's long. Lots of riding to do. We'll meet up on the next one.

Michael -- I'm not a newbie, but most of the easy stuff for you "natural born bikers", can be a bit scary... us regular people, we have to push through using nothing but adrenaline and guts. (the tougher this sounds, the better I feel)

"...then go down cottonwood and head back... Although that one spot on cottonwood gives me the heebie jeebies..."

If you mean the rocky downhill switchback drop into the creekbed and then back up the otherside... then... me too! Nastiest spot on the trail.

It the part where the trail turns into a steep side hill ride along a nasty sloping rock face. If you don't make it across you'll surely end up down in the creekbed... its the direct route through cottonwood, but there is a bypass of this obstacle that I haven't tried yet. I just pack a rope long enough to assist bikes down stuff like that

Michael -- I'm not a newbie, but most of the easy stuff for you "natural born bikers", can be a bit scary... us regular people, we have to push through using nothing but adrenaline and guts. (the tougher this sounds, the better I feel)

I'm hardly a natural born biker :applause:, but I enjoy letting other people experience the sport and learn for themselves how much skill it actually takes.

You guys have fun tomorrow.