Sign in to follow this  

Proper Oil Level Check TTR 125

Just bought my son a used TTR 125 with no manual. What is the proper oil level check method. Do you let it sit? Do you screw in the dip stick and then read? My 450 has to be run and then checked with the dipstick unscrewed. If I do this with the TTR I get nothing on the dipstick.

Thanks,

I would empty it and then put a quart in(manual says fill 1.06 quarts). The leftover that you havein the case still can account for the .06. Just as a precaution, I would empty and fill it. I normally check when the bike is sitting. :applause: A quart of Yamalube 20w-40 for should be good for your warm weather. :eek:

I would empty it and then put a quart in(manual says fill 1.06 quarts). The leftover that you havein the case still can account for the .06. Just as a precaution, I would empty and fill it. I normally check when the bike is sitting. :applause: A quart of Yamalube 20w-40 for should be good for your warm weather. :eek:

Good advice there...

I'd drain it and refill it as well. That's the safest way to know. Plus if it's a used bike it probably needs an oil change anyhow.

The level check is done with the bike warmed up and on level ground. Stand it up straight off the kickstand and unscrew the dipstick. Wipe the dipstick clean and drop it back in the hole but don't screw it back in yet. Take it back out and inspect the level.

Yes, you really should get a manual. They are a VERY big help.Assuming you work on your own bikes.