Sign in to follow this  

DRZ S Nightmares.....

Hi all. After no success with the 3x3 ive put the airbox back together and installed the DJ kit exactly as it says. This is what i have now....

Full CRD pipe

Stock air filter

Stock airbox

DJ needle, 4th clip down from top

134 main

stock 22.5 pilot (3 turns out)

13mm float height

And it runs like an absolute pig.

No power low down, coughing missing kicking and bucking all the way through complete with huge surges. On decel almost dies immediately on throttle closure.

Any ideas please???

I agree, it's not necessarily the jetting but it sounds carb related.

3 turns out on the pilot seems a little too much, as does the needle clip position you mention. Both settings, as you've described, make the bike super rich.

I think I may have missed some past information on your problems.

Is the air filter over oiled?

Is there something stuck in you exhaust pipe? You may want to take the time and verify for sure that there isn't something stuck in there.

It sounds like you're totally starved for air. I'd like to hear more symptoms and steps you've already taken.

XR600R - Fully Loaded

I think you might be right about being super rich. I hadnt started it for three days and after the work it wouldnt start with the choke out but fired up straight away with it in.

After giving up on the 3x3 i put everything back to stock except the exhaust which was on before i started to see if something else was the problem and it ran fine except for a little low on power low down and at full throttle it just died, like a blocked main jet. Although i wasnt sure if i had put the needle clip in the right position. Does anyone know the stock clip position for a UK bike?? I cant see how, as Burned says, "i have something else going on" that can be possible. The bike has only done 2000km and ran perfectly before attempting the 3x3. I worked very slow and checked everything and all is assembled fine. The air filter is the stock one from when the bike ran perfect. Do you think the DJ instructions are wrong and that i should try the 132 and the 3rd clip to weaken it up??

Sorry, the pipe is fine. But i did notice something when putting the airbox back to stock which surprised me. I crouched down when putting the seat on and noticed that it crushes the snorkel on top of the airbox down to less than half its size. A very big Suzuki oversight i thought so i cut an inch off the end to avoid restricting the opening.

not a suzuki over sight.

you put the snorkel in up side down.the long side goes in the air box.

like i said,youve got something else going on.

OOPS!!! Sh*t!! Long time since i took it out. My mistake So what do you suggest is the other thing going on?

slide not lifting?

broken needle retainer?

main jet and starter jet mixed up?

spacers on the needle not correct order?

needle jet missing from above main jet/emulsion tube?

basically,there are thousands of drz's out there running the basic 3x3 dj set up.it works great in them.some need minor deviations from the routine set up.

Pretty sure the slides lifting

Needle retainer is ok

Never taken out the starter jet

Spacers are ok, from top...thin/clip/plastic/thick

emulsion tube intact

The plastic shroud over the jets is a very loose fit. Could that mess things up?

Thanks for the input by the way, i think i need it, lol

Yeah. I have a digi camara. What parts of the carb would you like to see?

Sorry to bang on but that shroud. Does it make a difference being loose?

the float bowl holds it.

take the bowl off and take a pic of the jets and float.take the slide out and take a pic down the slide hole.

OK. It could be a couple of days in the making due to work but as soon as i get the chance i will post the pics for you.

Many thanks Burned