Sign in to follow this  

DR350 Pipe Question

Hey everybody,

I'm a new poster here, but have read the forums previously. I own a 1997 DR350 off-road only model. I'm really happy with the bike, runs great, etc. EXCEPT the other day, where the header meets the muffler, disconnected. The previous owner installed an aftermarket Cobra exhaust. The hose clamp that was there was rusted out, so i replaced the hose clamp with a brand new one and cranked it down.

Than I used 2 coats of Exhaust Cement, for cars. It says it's for cracks, leaks, joints, etc. I let it dry and when i fired the bike up today it looked good...as soon as i started to open it up on the railroad tracks, the muffler disconnected again even WITH the cement thats supposed to turn "weld-hard". I really want to go for a ride and I can't because of this! Anybody that can help, feel free to email me or respond. I'd really appreciate it!

There are 3 pieces to my exhaust system. The header pipe, muffler and a connector piece which joinst the two on my SuperTrapp [93 DR350]. Does your muffler have a pipe that connects directly to the header?

These pieces should be held in place with bracket clamps and not rely on each other for support. Each connection is at least 1" deep. My connection is not what you would call great [due to the size of the existing header and the muffler's extension piece] yet there is no way any of these pieces would come apart. One of 3 things to check:

1- Is it the correct pipe & pipe put on correctly in the beginning with all hanger brackets?

2- are brackets still in good shape

3- check to see if your frame cracked. It takes a lot of movement to pull apart exhaust systems. The only time I've actually seen an exhaust system pull apart [that was installed correctly] was with a cracked frame.

lvpg

Well...the entire exhaust is pretty loose. I cranked it down but it still is wobbly. No frame cracks either...I just wanna get them together and have it stay together!

It shouldn't move at all [very little, the rubber gromets will have some give] if the hanger brackets are installed properly . The exhaust-pipe clamps only seal air. Though they do a small amount to stabalize the system, the primary positioning components are the hangers. If not, the pipe would break at the bend near the head. If yours is moving a lot, your hangers are not installed properly, broken, or missing -- END OF STORY!

There are 3 or 4 places to hang the exhaust on a DR350. My suppertrapp uses one for the muffler and one for the transition pipe. The header is held by the flange to the engine head.

If your muffler system is not using at least 2 hangers + the head bolts [1 on the rear fender/1 on the mid-level frame] that's the problem.

It sounds like the previous owner did not install the system properly and was probably only a matter of time before is split. Be thankfull. If the clamps held tight, you fell, and the only thing holding the exhaust on was the head bolts, something would have broke.

Fix for what? You haven't said anything constructive yet.

I've taken some time, asked a few questions and made suggestions, but all you've written is that the frame is not cracked and that you've "cranked it down." Cranked what down? The pipe-clamp? I've already addressed that. The hanger bolts? Once again, how many hangers are connecting your exhaust to the bike? Is there just 1 at the back fender where the frame and rear fender meet? If so, your system will never be tight. How are the rubber gromets on the hangers? Is it the correct system for your bike? I went on the cobra site and they don't even list dirt-bikes.

Give me a little something. I'll be glad to help.