Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis DTR-1 Tire for Sportsman SM?

I'm looking for a 19" tire for a stock YZ450F rear wheel to run in the Sportman class in NorCal. I heard the Maxxis DTR-1 was good. Maxxis lists several compounds and sizes. I thought the 27x7.0-019 CD3 looked to be the one to get. That is the soft compound. The size chart indicates it is for a 3 inch rim though and the YZ rim is only 2.15 inches. Is any one using this tire? Any other suggestions? If you're using the Maxxis, where did you get it?

Thanks!

Yes, as far as I know this is the tire to go with in the sportsman class. It is widely used on the rear. I chose the medium compound and I also was told to use the front DTR-1, the smaller tire, on the rear 2.15 of my WR450. It does say it mounts on a bigger rim, but it sets up just fine on a 2.15. I was told if you got the rear DTR-1 it would be just too much tire and you couldn't utilize it all. I did run a Maxxis Promaxx in the rear, but the DTR-1 hooks up better and you get more feedback from it. However, I kept the Promaxx on the front. The Promaxx in the front hooks up just wonderful.

I ordered mine from A and A. http://www.aaracing.com/

Thanks for the info nevadaoutlaw. Yea, the 27.0 is listed as a front in the Maxxis size chart. That Promaxx looks like an old Bridgestone Splitfire street tire. It's good huh? I'm assuming since we were talking about Sportsman class you were running a 3.0x21 front? Ever try a Gripster or Distanza? on the front?

I haven't tried another front tire. However, I was thinking that the Promaxx may not be the best for the dirt. Most of the tracks here in So. Cal seems to have very very short dirt sections so I am more concerned about what works best on the street section. However, my buddy raced the with a Promaxx front at the Stateline race which had a good long dirt section and he still felt the front was fine for that dirt section. To be honest, I feel that most of the fronts suggested will do great if you have the correct tire pressure in them. It seems that the rear will let go sooner than the front, but I am still a novice at this. Another tire you may want to look at is the IRC trail winner gp-110f size 300.21. That is what one of the "go-fast" sportman guy runs and he runs real fast with unreal lean angles and I have yet to see the front let go on his bike. His rear DTR-1 lets go before the front. But if you look at the guy with 17s their tires are almost slicks with very few cuts. Again, I feel any of the suggested 21" tires with do fine.