Sign in to follow this  

Duncan Hill info

Has anyone ever ridden the Duncan Hill/Mrytle lake area in Eniat? My Forest Service map and the FS website http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreate/trails/entiattr.htm#anchor477984

show Duncan Hill as trail 1434, open to MC travel. The FS Orv map I saw yesterday didn't show the trail at all. Is the trail there or not? It is a ways from staging on the Chiwawa but could be part of a number of big loops. We were thinking about riding it via the Shepito trail 1429 ( a sweet climb up from the Eniat unmolested by FS pavers ) but thought better of it as we had 50 miles on the tanks allready.

Anyone got the scoop on Duncan Hill and Mrytle Lake?

Another trail that looks tempting and I can't find any info about is 1451, Stormy Creek.

PBryant

I have been on that trail twice. Once was in 98' or 99', going up from the trail on the bottom. It was very nasty with lots of places to get your bikes over 1 to 2 foot roots going uphill. The old YZ400 finally overheated a couple of times, and so did I. :applause: I know it's doable, as a couple of trials bikes had been up there that same day. I was geared for the track, not the trails.

We went back a few years later, and came at it from up above, which you access from a road, so you gotta be legal to do a loop. We came up on 3-4" of snow on top, and got into some areas where there was exposed steep sh**, so we turned around before we got into trouble. I remember this being very rugged, and obviously not a lot of use. Unless they have done some improvements, it is a difficult trail, but worth going to try. I want to go back this year.

I think the Myrtle Lake trail is a short trail for ORV's that goes into the Wilderness areas, and a Lake. Went in there once from the campground, and got LOTS of dirty looks from all the hikers going in. They aren't used to seeing dirt bikes on that trail.

Roy

I've been up to Duncan Hill many times. Most often, we wait until Labor Day weekend.

I don't know about the maps, but from the Entiat River Trail near Myrtle Lake, the steep climb to Duncan Hill starts out as the Anthem Creek Trail and becomes the Duncan Hill Trail at the turn-off to the Emerald Park Trail (or a similar name).

We used to love going that way to and from Snow Brushy Trail before we lost Snow Brushy and the Larch Lakes trail to the expanded Wilderness.

If you use the USFS Roads going up from near the North Fork Entiat Camp-Ground, you can get to Duncan Hill Trail from the South on a long gentle climbing trail. The last two or three switch-backs before you break out onto the face below the peak are pretty nasty, steep and deep. The Anthem Creek way is just a long climb with about 40 or more switch-backs. Nothing killer for an experienced rider, but definitely not a novice route. Last time up there were no pavers used anywhere... Let's hope we can keep it that way. :D

Here's a Delorme Map: Duncan Hill

• Like 1

Thanks foe the Info. I love the Eniat, any info on Stormy Creek 1451? Its on the map but not listed as a trail on the FS website.

PB

Paul; Is the trail that you are looking at (#1451) tying in with the devils backbone trail at the top of stormy mountain? If it is I've hiked it while hunting. It was all but abandened after the frog rock fire in 1972. As of two years ago you could still find some of the built up switch backs and trail bed. There was also another trail that tied into the devils backbone further north called the Brenningan creek trail.

Thanks foe the Info. I love the Eniat, any info on Stormy Creek 1451? Its on the map but not listed as a trail on the FS website.

PB

I love the Entiat too :D But my range is limited so I focus on the most difficult trails with loops less than 30 miles.

From Lake Creek Campground going East, I like to go up Lake Creek to 4 Mile Ridge Trail then maybe down the Angle Peak Trail. The 4 Mile Ridge Trail has some good large rock formations in the woods on the way up allowing some off-trail Trials Fun with no resource damage. AND, I LOVE tight switch-backs!!! That is why I take the Anthem Creek Trail to Duncan Hill.

Cougar Mountain is another Rock Garden... I can play there all day and it is open early season if I camp at Lake Creek and use South Tommy Trail to get there. Later, Maverick Saddle camping allows a great Trials Style route to Cougar Mountain using the Hi-Yu Trail to Lost Lake then an abandoned trail to the back side of Cougar Mountain with multiple cross-country bare rock rides all around the mountain... Then Jimmy Creek trail back to Maverick Saddle.

Has anyone ever ridden the Duncan Hill/Mrytle lake area in Eniat?

Duncan Hill is probably one of the most difficult WA trails I've ridden (on an enduro bike). It's more suited to trials bikes, or small, lightweight enduro bikes. It had a switchback on a sandy hill that had NO tread (trail width = zero), just super steep angle-of-repose traverse. Have to be kind of a careful rider or it can be torn up to be unrideable.

Other sections where it is about 10 inches wide ledge and dropoff almost vertical. Imaginne the views!!! Then coming down Anthem creek there was one place where I got off the bike and let it slide down the trail in front of me because I didn't think I could make the turn at the bottom.

I'd sure like to ride it again someday!!

Duncan Hill is probably one of the most difficult WA trails I've ridden (on an enduro bike). It's more suited to trials bikes, or small, lightweight enduro bikes. ........................................

I'd sure like to ride it again someday!!

Just say the word Tom, I still have extra bikes. Our last ride together was great and I've been waiting for a chance to go back to Duncan, but not alone if possible..

I don't feel right inviting any of my Enduro friends. If they decide they don't like the trail (Anthem Creek Route), they might think I'm trying to kill them. And then I would feel bad if they tore up the trail. The other direction is too easy to be fun for me... except for the last 1/4 mile.

And you are right about that soft, steep series of switch-backs coming up from the South... Even on a Trials Bike, I dread those 2 turns no matter going up or down. NO WAY would I want to do it on a big sit-down bike... :D

:D