Sign in to follow this  

Sticky compression release 2004 450 SMR

I have just recently noticed that my compression release seems to stick open after pulling the lever. I have to reach down to the arm to shut. Any help or solutions available? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

You valve cover bolts might be a little too tight. Try backing them off a little to see if that eliminates the binding.

Try cleaning the mechanism at the motor. See if you can push the pivot arm in any.

Lift your valve cover and put slight down pressure on the pin above the decmp. shaft. Pull the shaft in and out a bit until the pin falls back into the groove. Put the valve cover back on.

I had that problem with mine, deadeye is right, you have to take the valve cover off and make sure the pin in all the way down, my popped up and caused it to stick alittle once I put it back in place everything was fine.

Thanks for all the good advice but this time I just lucky. I grabbed the lever (at the head) and gave it a few movements and it freed right up. Seems to be running fine in fact I just pulled the flame arrestor screen and richened the needle one clip and the low end came alive. This is just with a can and stock head pipe.

Jeff