Sign in to follow this  

TerraFlex type 2 and DRZ400s...good or bad?

My old Trekmaster II is shot and I'm debating on trying the Terraflex. Does this behemoth REALLY install on the "S" model with no problems and no retrofitting? This site http://www.intercotire.com/site53.php says the type 2 is only available in the 150-90-18 size, is that what you have on your "S" model? Now that some of you guys have had them on for a while, what is your opinion of the tire, specifically the monster one, the Type 2? I read somewhere that the tire can remove the turn signals from the inside when landing bigger jumps.....any issues there? I think the tire looks cool but if it's gonna create hassles I can live without it, ya know? Lastly, does anyone have any pics of a Terraflex type mounted on a DRZ40s?

I'll dance at your next wedding if you'll post 'em..or if you prefer email them to me, PM me 4 the addy. Thanks in advance for sharing yer wisdom!!! :eek::applause:

Great tire...I definitely recommend it, and I think most other users will too. Goes on easy...no modding. M&H tires is a great source for the tire. There's a pic in my garage of mine mounted on my S.

There's a pic in my garage of mine mounted on my S.

please post a pic for us to see, i'm interested in new tires for the same bike :applause:

please post a pic for us to see, i'm interested in new tires for the same bike :applause:

Go ahead and click on the MY GARAGE icon under my avatar. :eek:

Thats a sharp DRZ, :applause: I like the black plastic and the Terraflex definately stands out! What is your opinion of the street-worthiness of the Teraflex, how many miles do you have on it and how is it holding up, if you don't mind? Thanx 4 your input!

Thats a sharp DRZ, :applause: I like the black plastic and the Terraflex definately stands out! What is your opinion of the street-worthiness of the Teraflex, how many miles do you have on it and how is it holding up, if you don't mind? Thanx 4 your input!

Thanks for the compliments. :eek: Of course I don't mind, that's what we're here for. The Terraflex does have a break in period that can be up to 100 miles as you may find doing a search on TT. Right when you put the tire on, it spins everywhere on the street. Hard for it not to happen actually. Then it slowly fades away and the thing grips like a street tire (except on corners obviously, and over water) it's not too bumpy I think because the knobs are so freking tall. I have about 500 miles on it (mostly street) and it seems to look like it is just barely started to get worn in. Of the 100 or so dirt miles on it...it rips. It roosts everything and pulls you out of everything. It sucks in sand though. You MUST air it down to a pretty low PSI ( I think I'm running it at 8 max offroad) or will spin A LOT. Hope that helps.

Oh, and yes they only come in the 150 size. It still fits though. I promise.

great tire for dirt/rocks/mud/slime/roots... it's a little bumpy on pavement at speeds below 10mph... and watch the throttle on the street during the breakin period... it fits on an S no problem

:applause:

Great tire...I definitely recommend it, and I think most other users will too. Goes on easy...no modding. M&H tires is a great source for the tire. There's a pic in my garage of mine mounted on my S.

Why is that Suzuki sticker on your swingarm mirrored?

Why is that Suzuki sticker on your swingarm mirrored?

I'm just an original mofo, I guess. :applause: No one else has it...it just came to me one day so I did it. I dig it.

OH....and on DRY pavement they are just fine...even better than just fine...

as for wet? Don't! :applause:

Rode mine to work today...

Thanks for the compliments. :applause: Of course I don't mind, that's what we're here for. The Terraflex does have a break in period that can be up to 100 miles as you may find doing a search on TT. Right when you put the tire on, it spins everywhere on the street. Hard for it not to happen actually. Then it slowly fades away and the thing grips like a street tire (except on corners obviously, and over water) it's not too bumpy I think because the knobs are so freking tall. I have about 500 miles on it (mostly street) and it seems to look like it is just barely started to get worn in. Of the 100 or so dirt miles on it...it rips. It roosts everything and pulls you out of everything. It sucks in sand though. You MUST air it down to a pretty low PSI ( I think I'm running it at 8 max offroad) or will spin A LOT. Hope that helps.

I found the break in period was around 300 miles before the street slippry spinning/sliding went away (Need to round the knobbies off).

As far a corners it does very well dry pavement as long as you are not afraid to slid the rear of the bike at high speeds (I know it is because of the tall knobbies).

If it is raining slow down to the speed limit, but it does not hydroplane.

Dirt: hang on it does not spin.

I have 2000+ street miles on my tire and the tread is about 5/8" in the center.

It appears that I will get 3000+ miles out of this tire, this is mostly on the road 90%, 10% Dirt.

I could put the stock tires back on for the road but for

10% dirt I dont want to commit suicide.

Shawn.

Took about 80 miles to get rid of the scary feeling on the pavement, but now it's fine. I still wouldn't lean into a corner like a street tire. Have a mt 21 on the front its a good combo.

3000 miles of pavement on a great knobbie!! now that is what I am looking for. I can take it easy on the road if I have to but I want a tire that can go on the road and last and still perform off road. Sounds like the Terraflex is it. Will it still fit with 14/47 or 15/47 gears and the stock chain?

3000 miles of pavement on a great knobbie!! now that is what I am looking for. I can take it easy on the road if I have to but I want a tire that can go on the road and last and still perform off road. Sounds like the Terraflex is it. Will it still fit with 14/47 or 15/47 gears and the stock chain?

I'm running the 14/47 and the adjusters are on 2 so I would think you could run the 15 also.

OH MY GOD!!!.. :eek: I had no idea the knobs can be so BIG and still be dot

approved... :applause: thy're definately my next rear tire!

OH MY GOD!!!.. 😛 I had no idea the knobs can be so BIG and still be dot

approved... 🙂 thy're definately my next rear tire!

Mine too.

TERA%202.jpg

That is one hungry looking tire. I'm intend to put it on a rocky, dirt diet!!!

My buddy, TT member Fletcher, pointed something interesting out:

go to www.intercotire.com > merchandise > and scroll

down to the bottom

apparently they are also in the chicken seasoning business.

off road tires & chicken seasoning!

sweet!

I'm placing my order!! :applause::eek: