Sign in to follow this  

water pump seal

OK. I brain farted. While installing new water pump seals I installed the inner seel facing the wrong way.( with the opening facing the casing intead of the bearing. Will this couse any real problem ? Will this stop proper lubrication of the bearing? I hate to trash a new seal to pound out the bearing:(

you may have put it in correctly. the pic in the manual isn't clear to its facing. so unless you remember perfectly the way the old one was, you have a 50/50 shot of being right/wrong.

even wrong, it will last about a month or so. just watch the weep hole and your coolant level. if you get it real hot and it starts weeping, you put it in wrong.

no comment on HOW i know this. :applause:

To quote the manual. "Install the oil seal with its manufactures marks or numbers facing the right crankcase cover". I hate when I do stuff like this. I was just going to change a leaking crankcase cover gasket and I turned it into a bigger job. The water pump wasn"t actually leaking.The impeller shaft was worn ( grooved) so I decided to replace it and the seals at one time. Does it do any real damage to the shaft bearing? I assume its alright as long as it spins freely. I just hate beating on it to remove it.