Sign in to follow this  

Impact wrench questions

Newbie mechanic. Have done my flywheel before on my 05 Honda crf250R. It was a PITA without the FW removal tool. Pretty sure an impact wrench would work way better getting that main nut off. Getting ready to switch FWs again.

Problem is I have never used an impact wrench. Will you standard Home Depot $50 1/2 inch impact wrency work with a do-it-yourselfer Porter Cable 6 gallon Compressor unit? Wrench says may torque 275 and the box says 26 gallon compressor tank. Dont know if thats Suggested or Required. Any finally, can use a regular hand tool socket or is the impact socket crucial?

Many thanks!

It may work for a very short time until the tank is empty, but if you have to hammer away at the nut with the gun for a long period of time, a 6gal tank aint gonna do it.

yes, it will work, but only for a short burst, then the compressor will turn on again, and you might not get the recommended torque if the compressors max psi is below the suggested requirement.

I would look at a bigger compressor, then you can run all sorts of neat toys, air wrenches, spay guns, die grinders etc. As for the sockets, I would use em' if you got em' but I've worked on gravel trucks with weird sizes, and a regular socket works just fine if it fits the impact driver

Yeah, it will brake the nut loose without a problem. Thats all i would buy, if you have to buy both then i would consider buying an electric impact from dewalt it will do the same job and never runs out of air.

Thanks for all the replies. I dont think its on there too tight (maybe 80# torque). On the FW, without the special tool, it most painful to get it off while keeping the flywheel from spinning. Actually used a oil filter wrench with duct tape on it to hold the fW, then a regular socket on the bolt. Working one handed was tough. Hoping the impact wrench might just blast it off since its only about 80 lbs. Thanks again! Will report back.

i would try keep away from air tools with motorcycles,, ok it can make stuff easy , also makes it easy to destroy threads and engine parts with them

just buy the right tool , flywheel holder , it will be easy and it wil be alot cheaper