Sign in to follow this  

2005 drz400s exhaust

I just bought a new s-model...my first motorcycle actually. I have had it for just over a month now and couldn't be happier with my purchase. Very capable offroad and surprisingly comfortable on the street. I am, however, looking to replace the stock exhaust for something a little more serious...not so loud that I will get pulled over in town, but more aggressive than stock. Any suggestions? Also, is there a pipe available that retains the heat shield or even an a/m heat shield for a new pipe?

Yoshimura is sort of the gold standard. You will need the TEC insert to keep it quiet. It will still be louder than stock.

I have heard a lot of recommendations for the FMF Q pipe.

Some of these pipes bolt to the rear footpeg mount. If you are planning to remove those spare pegs, then you should have an easy fit.

Pipes designed for the E will work, but tend to be larger and are not part for part compatible with the S. Use only full systems or parts specifically for the S if you are going to keep your S head pipe. The E pipe is 3mm larger.

azkmymonkey Welcome to TT!! :applause:

I too, would like to hear from 2005s owners with exhausts that add better performance , especially if they are not alot louder...

I have a 2005 S model and I did the burned 3x3 mode plus removed the restrictor on the stock exhaust. There was a dramatic increase in performance, for me. I would recommend removing the restrictor first and if it is not loud enough then you can get an aftermarket exhaust.

Also, be sure and check out the DRZ info site http://drz.info/drz/. This is a must for all new DRZ owners.

Removing the restrictor just makes more noise. The most actual gains are to be had from changing the headpipe. Even the E's is the major restriction.

Yosh stainless with the med tec insert or muzzy with the sa/quiet core are the way to go for power and still not be too loud.

Put the muzzy on my E model per 10 Guy and Bronco. Am very happy, also have the spark arrestor and the quiet insert yes it is louder but well within reason. no headaches here. The bike revs up allot faster now! :applause:

Removing the restrictor just makes more noise. The most actual gains are to be had from changing the headpipe. Even the E's is the major restriction.

Yosh stainless with the med tec insert or muzzy with the sa/quiet core are the way to go for power and still not be too loud.

Muzzy's web site says that they have these exhausts for 2000 through 2004...anyone know if this will fit a 2005"S"? Anyone already have one of these exhausts on a 2005? (S) They also don't disginguish between E and S...

I'll call them tomorrow, but I thought someone here might know...

:applause:

No changes so 05 is the same as the 02-04 and mostly the same as 00-01. I believe the muzzy is actually made for the E but can be easily made to fit the S. pm me for the place I found to be the least costly for the muzzy.

Hindle makes a wicked system for the DRZ :applause: I went against the grain and didn't opt for the Yosh/Muzzy. I even use the stock heat shield....the front bolt works for the heat shield..the rear I just used a hose clamp 😛 Look in my garage, there's a couple of pics of the system....and the stock head pipe is really tiny....I can't believe how much bigger the Hindle headpipe is 🙂

It's not overly loud either.....Hindle is really working at making significant power gains while being as quiet as possible. :eek:

I went with the Yoshimura RS3 and am quite happy. It comes with a spark arrestor insert that quiets things down, but doesn't make it sound anemic. Definitely would recommend. 3x3 is a must too.

I am sure that 10guy is correct, but make sure any parts that you get are compatible with YOUR exhaust. An E headpipe will not easily fit an S muffler. Slip on exhausts are sometimes for E headpipes and won't easily mate with an S header. E parts will fit on an S for the most part, but you have to do the complete exhaust system with E or S parts and not a mixture of the two.

Hindle makes a wicked system for the DRZ :applause: I went against the grain and didn't opt for the Yosh/Muzzy. I even use the stock heat shield....the front bolt works for the heat shield..the rear I just used a hose clamp 😛 Look in my garage, there's a couple of pics of the system....and the stock head pipe is really tiny....I can't believe how much bigger the Hindle headpipe is 🙂

It's not overly loud either.....Hindle is really working at making significant power gains while being as quiet as possible. :eek:

Where did you purchase the Hindle? So far online, I've only seen the pieces listed serperately, and they don't seem to tell you what parts you actually need. Headpipe, midpipe, and muffler? Do you have to order them serperately, or do they come as a full system?