Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone use 5th gear on MX track?

On my 2002 yz250f I only use 3rd and 4th gears on mx tracks but I use 2nd gear for starts tho. I use 1st gear in the pits but I never needed 5th gear anywhere. My gearing is stock 13/48 but I was thinking about trying a 14/52 gearing. I did have a 12/48 for a short stint and didnt like it(too low). Someone on here mentioned that if you want a 14 countersprocket you will need to get a bigger casesaver cause it would rub the chain. I was thinking it possible to modify the original casesaver to make enough clearance but wasnt sure....toodles!:applause:

i serious feel like i am always in 5th gear and looking for a sixth if i could have one, some of these tracks are pretty long and ill do some of the more developed corners in third and even fourth gear, it sort of bothers me that i want more but it's just the way i ride the four stroke

I use 5th all the time with my WR/YZF420 on MX tracks, but if I actually want to rev the engine, I use 3rd and 4th. 13/52 gearing works for me (but I also have a wide ratio transmission)

I used to on my 04 on long straightaways. Most of the time the last gear for MX on any bike doesnt get used. Even on the 4 speed's.

I also use 5th alot on the track i ride. The bike is all stock so maybe its because of that. I'd like to get an exhaust and change the gearing around to get some more power but I feel like im all out all the time.

I used 5th often when I had 13/50 gearing. If you've got a good low-mid pipe and good jetting it will pull 5th just fine.

I found that I like 13/49 better and it's harder to get the bike to pull 5th so I wrap out 4th.

Standard Gearing for me on my 05 YZ250F. I find that most tracks here I am in 5th wide open. Some of the main straights we have here are over 700ft long. I hate being behind someone, (in line with them), because it's some killer roost. You can feel the roost alone from about 35-40ft!

But when you are 10-15ft away, it hurts the most. I try to keep right behind them so the roost doesn't hit me, (also good for streaming), or I take a different line.

Anywho, back to topic, Other then the long straights, I'll be in 2nd to 4th gear.

I have a 50 tooth rear so I hit 5th for a brief burst before shifting to third in the turn. I think I will drop one tooth because I and getting to the point where I will top the bike out and bounce off the limiter wanting more speed in the longer straits.

Wow,I wish we had some of those tracks near here.3rd is tops here(Raceway Park-N.J.)

the tracks i've ridden don't need 5th, but the 100+ foot jumps do! i got 10/48 gearing and want higher top speed

You sure it's not 13/48?