Sign in to follow this  

What bike next for a 7 year old?

Well my 7 year old is getting way to big for his 04 CRF 50. I want to keep the bike cause his 5 year old sister still rides it and we have a 2 year old boy that will be riding it in a few years. I have been considering the CRF 70 cause it fits him perfect but he wants to get into racing a little bit. The 70 seems like such a tank compared to the 2 strokers but I am such a fan of the honda stuff just for maintenace. Am I going to do him a disfavor by getting him a 70? He rides and jumps his 50 real good and I am afraid the 70 is going to just be to heavy for him to have any fun? What is a good alternative that won't break the bank? Or should I just get him the 70?

well... how big is he? go down to the local kawi dealer and sit him on a KLX110... see how that fits him... this will have plenty of susp. for his jumping passion... :applause:

Also check out a KX60 or 65 if he wants to race :eek:

drz/klx 110 for sure! As many mods as 50, but faster, better susp., and better suited for adult riding :applause: !! :eek:

My son is a very tall 7 year old. He can sit and touch flat footed on a CRF 70 and according to Kawi and Suzuki the 110's seat height is shorter than the CRF 70's. I am going to do some comparisons between the three and try and make a more informed decision. Not sure he is ready for a manual clutch so these three are probably my best choices it looks like to me. Any other choices I should consider?

There is only one way to learn a manual clutch... TEACH HIM! I don't think there is a minimum age where a kid just understands a manual clutch. He will get it when you decide to teach him.

In my opinion, if he is begining to jump - he is ready for a manual clutch. If he wants to ride and that means he needs to learn manual clutch - then he will learn and will be excited about it because he is young and learned it before all of his friends... or at least that is how I was when I learn at that age.

There is only one way to learn a manual clutch... TEACH HIM! QUOTE]

You know you are right. Guess I was just thinking it's to early but there are kids out there racing these bikes with manual clutches younger than him. Think I will look at the 65 class of bikes.

Here is a photo of him at the track the other day.

41b86bc2.jpg

Looks like he knows what he is doing and has the confidence to over come the compitition. I think he will be excited to get a bigger bike and will learn it no time. Keep the small bike around to build confidence and to play on... if not for him, at least for you. Hehe

Great picture by the way! Where was it taken?

The picture is from the Kids track I-5 in Gorman. Kids track. He is a good rider and really wants to race. I raced the Fire Police race there the other day and he was mad I didn't enter him in the 50cc kids race. Guess I should have just to help build his and my confidence.

When it is time I am sure he will be racing. If he hasn't raced at all, perhaps letting him race a kids 50 race will let you see if he is into it. Then he may come to the decision of wanting to ride a manual on his own or even better a bigger bike, if need be.

Be sure he understands losing is part of getting better when it comes to racing. Hard to build confidence when you lose! Make sure he is in it for the fun... winning is just a bonus.

The Fire/Police race sounds like fun. I work for the County of San Bernardino and do video work, a lot of fire and sherrif stuff. Did you race your CRF450 or your TRX450R. I have a YFZ450... but never raced it... (officially). Just friends and stuff.

I raced the CRF 450. I don't feel very comfortable jumping on my quad. Just feels way to small for me. This was only my second time ever being on a track and my first time racing so my son was able to see me lose with a good attitude. He told me that he though I won. I told him no I was just so far behind you thought I was first. :applause:

Haha - That is a good one. Sounds like a lot of fun. Jumping on quads takes a bit more concentration, but once you got it, it is a lot of fun. I grew up on 2 wheelers and then got the YFZ450 and love it to death. We all ride quad except the choosen few with 50s.