Paranoia

So I got my bike inspected yesterday...WOOHOO. Had to have them put my new tire on though because the old front tire was "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE" Glad I did that though because the front tube had numorous patches in it ?

Glad that's over with though, I was sweating it a little. Now on to my new found paranoia. After the whole bike blowing up and taking 2 months to rebuild it and costing a fortune thing..........EVERY little noise the bike makes I think to myself "what's that, was it there before, maybe I should stop and check, wait what's the noise, is it about to self destruct, AM I GOING INSANE ?? "

Thought I heard a new sound after they put the new tire on.....I think it's just wind traveling through my fairing (probably was always there) Thought my cam chain sounded rattly, but doesn't seem louder than usual when I check it. The bike did get a bit more rattly after riding for a while which I've been informed is ok. Then I heard the sound of my chain when I move my left foot out of the way (I'm sure it's always there, I'm just losing it ? )

I NEED HELP :applause:???

LOL, it'll pass I know but has anyone else had this feeling after a fresh rebuild...I have almost 100 miles on it now! :eek:

~Jason

The engine will loosen up for the first several hours and while it does so will come up with a lot of new noises. Remember you are now running higher compression than before as well. And these engines are just flat out noisy :applause:.

And yes I know exactly what you mean :eek:

I NEED HELP :eek:??

Don't we all?

Congratulation on rebuild, I can remember at the beginning of the rebuild you were skeptical but you did it!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to thank 10 guy, bronco, burned and everybody else that helped you with a cold one! :applause:

Without them it would have cost you 2X.

Ear plugs maybe???

Naw, just enjoy the bike and have some fun. :applause:?:eek:

Thanks for sharing your experience with questions and pictures. It was a learning process for some of us who never turned a wrench.

Skyd, a little Paranoia is OK. But try not too worry to much, DRZ's are one of the noisiest modern Engines I have ever heard. I tend to wear earplugs when doing more than pottering around town. Just get used to the rattles it makes, and sort of memorise them. If any new noises start, then worry about them until you have worked out what they are. It took me about 1000 miles to get used to all the rattles, now I ignore them. It's just something you have to get used to. If you wear earplugs, you will still hear any new noises. Just relax and enjoy your bike, and be proud that you re-built the engine, and it works. I'm sure it will be OK. If it was going to explode, because you had done something wrong it would have done it in the first 10 or 20 miles. It will probably take about 500 or so miles to fully bed in, and until then, the noise levels will alter as you ride it. If you are still worried, at 200 miles give it a proper check over. Check every thing you are worried about. But I bet it will be OK.

Neil. :applause:

Hey skyd

You don't need dot approved knobbies in NH. Regular knobbies are fine for all roads in nh except the interstate highways. If your on an s the dots might be ok but if it's an e and your mostly in the woods regular knobs are the way to go. A lot of dealers don't know this and will tell you you need dots. that is wrong. Usually you have to go farther up the line of command to a manager to get someone who knows. and if they still say you needs dots find another dealer.

So I got my bike inspected yesterday...WOOHOO. Had to have them put my new tire on though because the old front tire was "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE" Glad I did that though because the front tube had numorous patches in it :mad:

Glad that's over with though, I was sweating it a little. Now on to my new found paranoia. After the whole bike blowing up and taking 2 months to rebuild it and costing a fortune thing..........EVERY little noise the bike makes I think to myself "what's that, was it there before, maybe I should stop and check, wait what's the noise, is it about to self destruct, AM I GOING INSANE :snore::snore: "

Thought I heard a new sound after they put the new tire on.....I think it's just wind traveling through my fairing (probably was always there) Thought my cam chain sounded rattly, but doesn't seem louder than usual when I check it. The bike did get a bit more rattly after riding for a while which I've been informed is ok. Then I heard the sound of my chain when I move my left foot out of the way (I'm sure it's always there, I'm just losing it :snore: )

I NEED HELP :eek:???

LOL, it'll pass I know but has anyone else had this feeling after a fresh rebuild...I have almost 100 miles on it now! ?

~Jason

Relax and go ride the SOB...it'll be fine. You took no short-cuts and were wise enough to listen to good input from burned, 10guy, bronco, neil and many others. I know how you feel but pay attention, do your checks, keep a written record and it will serve you for a long time. Good luck and keep the rubber on the road...with your helmet on ??:applause:?:snore::snore:

When it says "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE", take a razor blade or dremel and remove the "not"

i would think a cop who was going to take a look at the writing on tires would know dot tires do not say "for highway use". and that non dot tires do say "not for highway use".

if he feels the tire was tampered with, he may not be happy.

probably better off removing the entire phrase if your going to tamper with it.

i plan on acting real dumb(alright it may not be acting) if the situation ever arises.

I have been pretty happy with selection of DOT tires that are still agressive enough for off-road use. If you look around, there are a lot of them available. They don't look much different from their off highway counterparts. I expect that many of the off highway tires could pass DOT inspection if they were submitted for approval.

You need to be careful riding knobbies on the street anyway, but I certainly don't think that it is any less safe to ride a non-DOT tire on the street. Years ago, the only DOT approved "dirt" tires were called "trials tires". They were not good for the street, they were not good for the dirt, and they certainly were not what the trials guys were using. So you put on a non-DOT knobbie and rode. :applause: