Sign in to follow this  

KTMs overheating?

Just got a new KTM525EXC! So far so good. Gonna put MSR radiator guards on the bike for a little extra strength on falls. The worked great on my old bike (wr400f). My question is, will these adversely effect the cooling on the big KTM? I've seen many KTMs (mostly 300s) overheating, but haven't ridden this one enough to judge.

old bike: WR400F

I use the wrap around Flatland guards and have no overheating issues at all with my RFS's.

Why not use the the beefy tubular steel guards (#595.35.036.044) from the KTM Hard Parts Catalog. They provide the best protection from the side with absolutely zero air restriction.

I put the Devol guards on my 525 MXC and haven't had any problems with heat yet. I do have the optional cooling fan installed though. If you want to use the Devol guards and have the fan installed, you'll have to modify the fan a bit.

You're getting good advice, but also consider how and where you ride. The guard you're describing will slightly diminish air flow, but that won't matter if you're generally riding open terrain and with enough speed to insure good airflow.

Also, don't worry about your rads occasionally "spitting" a little coolant. They'll do that if they've been overfilled. Even without an overfill condition, you're not having a problem with this unless you can't either increase your speed (and airflow) or simply shut down for awhile.

I ride regularly in hot weather and in tight woods. Overheating is very rare and very manageable. However, I would never use guards that reduce airflow because I just don't have the "wiggle room."

Why not use the the beefy tubular steel guards (#595.35.036.044) from the KTM Hard Parts Catalog. They provide the best protection from the side with absolutely zero air restriction.

I worry more about frontal "skewering" kinds of things than side impacts so a wrap around guard is a must for me.

I've seen many KTMs (mostly 300s) overheating, but haven't ridden this one enough to judge.

you've seen 300's overheating? wow. i didn't even know it was possible. either jetted very lean or something else was really wrong. i do alot of various kinds of riding in hot weather, some of it real slow technical trailriding with zero airflow, and i have devol radiator guards, and never a hiccup.

on the other hand, the big ktm 4-strokes are famous for overheating on tight technical trails, especially if the riders are slower. rode with 2 on rincon trail last week that were spitting coolant multiple times. one of the riders had never had his bike overheat before, even in crazy stuff, but he had just put radiator guards on. draw your own conclusions there. it was a pretty hot day and semi-technical trail, with some long slow climbs.

on a 4-stroke, i would lean towards the ktm hardparts guards, which brace against side impacts. they don't seem to affect airflow at all. unless you're like jeb and worried about skewering impacts. frankly, if i'm in terrain that might skewer my rads, i'm going to be more worried about skewering my knee. i did that once, and it pretty well sucked. and cost more to fix than a radiator.

i rode my uncle's ktm 450 at forest hill like 2 weeks ago and the thing kept overheating and he told me it was because the water pump for the radiator doesnt work when u have the clutch in

i rode my uncle's ktm 450 at forest hill like 2 weeks ago and the thing kept overheating and he told me it was because the water pump for the radiator doesnt work when u have the clutch in

it is probably also because you're slow.

even some of the fast guys in socal put fans (from the lc4 i think) on the big ktm 4-strokes tho.

That is false, the water pump works anytime the engine is running. The pump is connected to the cam shaft.

If the bike is puking, either you are not getting enough air across the fins or the rads are too full. There should be 10mm of space (for expansion) above the fins in the radiators.

it is probably also because you're slow.

even some of the fast guys in socal put fans (from the lc4 i think) on the big ktm 4-strokes tho.

thanks for the compliment :applause: i think anyone would have been slow on the trail i was riding i was on the side of a cliff and there was really bad switch backs that no one could ride down but i guess it is just beacuse i am slow :eek:

i think anyone would have been slow on the trail i was riding i was on the side of a cliff and there was really bad switch backs that no one could ride down but i guess it is just beacuse i am slow :applause:
It might have been the Honda. :eek:

thanks for the compliment :applause: i think anyone would have been slow on the trail i was riding i was on the side of a cliff and there was really bad switch backs that no one could ride down but i guess it is just beacuse i am slow :eek:

haha, that was harsh. it would be better to say 'maybe it was because you were riding slow'. on a hard enough trail, anyone will be slow. it just takes a harder to trail to make the fast guys as slow as the rest of us.

mw

Has anyone come up with a 'sano' overflow bottle for the KTM radiators, besides the "baby bottle" on an riding buddy's old Husky? A la Yamaha's overflow setup on the WRs... (and they work!)

:applause:

Nothing wrong with a baby bottle, however I prefer to use a small lab sguirt bottle. They are ready to use as is, and are easy to ziptie to the left front radiator louvre.