Sign in to follow this  

road to top of MT.ANTERO-14000ft

[Has anyone ever did this trip up Antero ,just east of ST.ELMO? I'm thinking if I,m starting at Taylor ,I ought to be able to go over Tincup Pass to ST.Elmo, up Antero and back to Taylor on a drz tank of fuel.Has this been attempted by any of you Colo. regulars. The views from 12000+ are great,[/color] I think 14000 would be awesome.COLOR=Red]

AnteroAugust03009.jpgAntero020.jpg Here is a shot from the top looking down towards Salida.And one looking southwest. If you are lucky enough to get good weather the views are awe inspiring. You have to walk the last quarter mile or so and it aint easy. And there is a good chance it is still snowed in above about 12500. Also last I heard tincup still was snowed in but melting rapidly. You might be able to buy some gas in St. Elmo if neccessary.

I know a guy who rode up Mt. Blanca a couple weeks ago. Said it was 'Amazing'. Pictures I saw look sweet. To answer the question, no.

I was up there on the 4th. I heard Tincup was still snowed in, but I did not see for myself. We went over Hancock pass. It was passable with a bike. Too much snow for a jeep in two spots.

We made it to the end of the trail on Antero (13,800 ft or so) having to blast one little snow drift on a switch back. That was the funnest time I have ever had on a 4x4 road :eek:

P.S. I rode a CRF450R with a stock tank and I would suggest bringing a little extra fuel if you are coming from Taylor. :applause:

AnteroAugust03010.jpgHere is a shot looking Northwest towards Taylor Park and Tincup Pass has to be in there somewhere I think. Yes it is high res.

The last mile or so going up Antero is rocky but do-able, You should be able to go from Mirror Lake to Antero and back on a tank of fuel. The last two times I've done this ride someone in the group came back with a flat tire, run higher than normal tire presure and ride it in the morning before the afternoon thunder boomers roll in.

Ya better be PLATED in Chaffee County. They're cracking down this year on OHV's on county roads AND FS roads

The cat at the ST> Elmo gen. store told us about the man last year. they were lobbying the co. to at least let people ride down to the Antero turn off on the Co. road. Last fear we did ride all the way down to Alpine on the fs road,but you still have to go back up the co.road about a quarter mile . Has this scenario got better or worse? I might E mail the Gen store and ask him.

My husband and I were up there last week and on Friday you go about 6 miles up tin cup pass before the trail was blocked with snow. It was only blocked for about 100yds. We rode back down to St. Elmo and took the Hancock pass, went through Tin Cup, then to mirror lake and to the other side of the snow block. We ran out of time and had to go to a wedding. I wish we could have found some more single track. We did do the Rainbow trail south of Salida and that was some of the best single track I have ever been on. Can't wait to get back!!!

No plates. I tried to steer clear of all of the county roads. I actually drove to Antero parking lot on the way out and unloaded from there.. :applause: My friend made it with no problems.

They have a lot of signs that say no ATVS on the main routes. Also, I did not want to chance anything (or piss anyone off) because it was a holiday weekend- people everywhere :eek: (I have bright yellow number plates that can be seen and written down from a distance)

Oh yah, I saw one forest service truck and lots of idiots on quads with no helmets :eek:

-I even saw two different people riding their child on the mini SUVs without helmets. One had a child seat strapped to the back of it, but the kid (less than 2yrs) was riding in dads lap!!! That would have been ugly if it rolled! 🙂

So I can see why they are cracking down and I hope they are going after them and not us. :applause:

I've got more quad stories if anyone is interested! 😛

My husband and I were up there last week and on Friday you go about 6 miles up tin cup pass before the trail was blocked with snow. It was only blocked for about 100yds. We rode back down to St. Elmo and took the Hancock pass, went through Tin Cup, then to mirror lake and to the other side of the snow block. We ran out of time and had to go to a wedding. I wish we could have found some more single track. We did do the Rainbow trail south of Salida and that was some of the best single track I have ever been on. Can't wait to get back!!!

:applause::eek: Atta' Girl!

The cat at the ST> Elmo gen. store told us about the man last year. they were lobbying the co. to at least let people ride down to the Antero turn off on the Co. road. Last fear we did ride all the way down to Alpine on the fs road,but you still have to go back up the co.road about a quarter mile . Has this scenario got better or worse? I might E mail the Gen store and ask him.

did anyone check to see if we could ride to the enterance of Mt. Antero. I am heading out there next week and wanted to know if it was worth it to go across Tin Cup pass up Mt. Antero. Thanks for the help. :applause:

I haven' yet , but I will go E-Mail the general store in ST ELMO and see if the cat behind thee counter can tell me anything