Sign in to follow this  

Woohoo, track day ends with a hefty bill!!!

Okay, so I go through my routine maintence, and such, my bike is running perfect. I'm at an open practice today, 1st lap goes good, clearing some jumps, and having some fun. I got a HUGGGGE table coming up, I'm ringing the bike in 4th pinned, off the jump CLUNK CLUNK...and some other noises. IN THE AIR! I was going to crap myself. My chain snapped in mid air, it tore into the case, no oil leaking, but still took some metal off.

So no I'm down a chain, my sprockets are toast, my chain/sprocket guard in the back-TOASTTTTT....and guess what else I finished off?!? My rim, I know you guys have heard me bitch about my spokes loosening and this and that, well now my spokes are destroyed.

Anyways, Happy riding! Now I have to make me some money to keep up with this beast.

Well glad you are OK. Could have been on a triple with a REALLY hefty hospital bill.

Yes, that was the stock chain. It has been longggg garbage. I just couldn't come up with the money to replace the chain ANDDD sprockets.

Yes, that was the stock chain. It has been longggg garbage. I just couldn't come up with the money to replace the chain ANDDD sprockets.

When something needs to be replaced, and you are going to keep riding, sometimes it's worth eating top ramen for a few days so you can afford the fix. Otherwise, you might end up way worse off. Not to push you away from the sport, as I want almost everyone to be riding, but if you can't afford a new chain this might not be the sport for you.

I don't know your situation at all, but from reading your other post about selling the bike, I would think that if your parents are willing to buy you an expensive new bike they wouldn't mind giving you a few dollars here and there to keep the bike up. I doubt they would think that $30 is too much to protect a $5000+ purchase, and also it keeps you safer. If the chain snapped as you approached the jump you could be in a world of hurt.

It sucked, but I had to sell my bike two years ago because I couldn't afford college and MX at the same time. It stinks not riding, but you can always go back to the sport when the time is right.

I'll get off my soapbox now....