Sign in to follow this  

Butt-plug Removal

I have an interesting KLX300 dilemma that should set me up for some good jokes.....I can't remove my butt-plug.

I've taken out the three screws, but can't get the plug out. I left the muffler on the bike. Do I need to remove the muffler? Shouldn't this thing just come out? Am I not cursing enough??????

Am I crazy, or should this only take me 5 minutes?

It shouldn't take you over a minute and a half. You don't need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the muffler on. Just the two screws on the rear of the exhaust can. What you're removing is that pencil sized POS baffle that's attached to the rearmost part of the muffler. If it doesn't fall off after you remove the two rear screws, tap it gently :applause::eek: with a big hammer. Hope that helps. BTW. the muffler and spark arrestor are still 100% operational after removing the offending unit. When you get it off, while gently repeating the mantra "I hate the EPA", smash it with the biggest hammer you can find! Then go out and enjoy your new bike.

understood.

i just re-examined the bike and the owners manual again. i realized my mistake after reading your message.....the previous owner already removed the baffle. i thought i needed to remove the entire black unit that closes the end of the muffler, not just the thin part.

i'm a little disappointed. i wanted to chant "i hate the EPA" and do a small victory dance. i guess i'll have to save the dance for when my TM36, hot start switch, and FSW header arrives.

thanks for the help, even though i feel a little silly. :applause:

Glad you figured it out. Go ahead and feel free to chant "I hate the EPA, Sierra Club and Center for Bio-Diversity" anyway. It will lift your spirits and when out riding will make your front tire stick like glue in the corners. :applause::eek:

I'm in Gilbert. How about yourself?

We're having a hard time finding riding areas right now with all of the fire closures. Rolls and Sycamore are off-limits until it rains significantly.....and you and I both know that won't be any time this summer/fall.

Just tried out Bulldog Canyon and it was pretty cool. Pretty tight desert trail with a ton of big rocks :eek: .

Any suggestions for riding areas?....besides desert wells :applause:

I'm in N. Phx. Spend most of my trail riding time at either the Mile Markers or Bartlett (fire closure right now). I bought a new trials bike in May (2002 Scorpa) and have been practicing or riding trials events ever since. Have only riden the KLX around the block to keep things going. Once it cools down this fall, I'll get back on the single track.