Sign in to follow this  

Painting Plastics??

Hey Guys,

I wanted to try and maybe paint my plastics but I'm not sure what I would use? Is there a paint that would stick good? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Mary

I read a post (not sure where) from someone who used Krylon "Fusion" with good results.

It is designed for painting plastic stuff like lawn furniture so it adheres well and flexes without chipping off.

If I remember the downside was the limited colors available (at that time).

It comes in a "shake and shoot" spray can and is available at most of the larger hardware stores....Karl

thanks for the reply, I want to make my bike all black with red accents so I'm assuming they will have black with no problem :applause: Thanks again for the info!

-Mary

I've used the Krylon Fusion to repaint my Blaster. It works real well and looks good too. Just remember to paint it in a protected, well ventilated area. I recommend using soap/water to wash the plastic real well first, then let it air dry. Apply at least 3 coats, letting it dry in between and it should come out all right. No, it doesn't look as good as new plastic, but it's helluva lot cheaper and the paint is very high quality. Doesn't chip or come off with a power washer. Good luck :applause: .

honestly i think it will look like shit :applause: thats my $0.o2
Man, you're a load of niceness today. 🙂

Munchie, try the Krylon Fusion like suggested. I've seen it on other TTer bikes and it looks good. :eek:

😛

I'll post pics once I finish, but I took another route. I have a heat gun and I love hobbies. With that said, I bought some vinyl sticker and I'm using that instead of paint. I did have to try the paint out of curiousity, but I don't like it.

Anyway, I'll post a pic soon.

P.S. I'm sure the results will make you pee your pants. I'm done with all of it. I just have to put my bike together and take a pic. It's going to blow your mind.

clean the plastic thoroughly and then sand it lightly with 400 wet or dry paper. Clean the surface thoroughly then clean it again with acetone. then paint it with epoxy paint.

Munchie, good first attempt!

I managed a bodyshop for 10 years, and I am a journeyman automotive painter. I have painted everything. For plastics, use a fine "scotchpad" either grey or green. Do not use anything courser that 400 grit on plastics. LIGHTLY scuff the plastic, just enough to take the shine off especially the edges and curves. Spray several light coats, 20 minutes between coats. If you are using a paint for plastics, no adhesion promoter is necessary, however if not, use one. Also make sure that the paint has flex abilities. Prepping is the most important part of paint work. Spend the time to do that correct and you will have great results.

You are right bikercop. Anything under 400 is to gritty. Think I'll change my previous post. :applause:

:eek:

Hurry up and git those pics online- the suspense is killing me! :applause:

As soon as I can ride a little better I want to totally "girl pimp" my bike out.

I'll post pics once I finish, but I took another route. I have a heat gun and I love hobbies. With that said, I bought some vinyl sticker and I'm using that instead of paint. I did have to try the paint out of curiousity, but I don't like it.

Anyway, I'll post a pic soon.

P.S. I'm sure the results will make you pee your pants. I'm done with all of it. I just have to put my bike together and take a pic. It's going to blow your mind.

Hurry up and git those pics online- the suspense is killing me! :applause:

As soon as I can ride a little better I want to totally "girl pimp" my bike out.

Alright Carol,

It's sort of hard to say no to a female, let alone a MX female.

http://toneconsultant.tripod.com/id3.html

I just finished this link (because of Carol) The pics aren't as good as it actually looks because the sun kept throwing glares. I couldn't figure out how to angle things so I finally just took some pics and went back into the house!!! Check it out. It came out alright. The orange is actually much more alive then it appears :eek:

P.S. I didn't paint it and decided to use vinyl because vinyl sticker has that glossy look and I thought paint wouldn't hold up as long . . . Of course, when I crash end-over-end (and it's coming), we'll see how the graphics look then. hahaha

hahaha. It was just something stupid to do. I'm sure if I had a 50cc, I'd dump thousands into it. Luckily, at least on the 150, I can still run with about 85% of the big bike riders in the area. Yeah, there's aren't that many fast guys out here in Norcal. They are all in SoCAL.

i just got black plastics from maier-mfg and they look awesome easy to install...only like 150$$$ for everything illpost pics of my 150fso check my garage