Sign in to follow this  

shift lever, CFC????????????????????????

I put the cfc guard on and shaved the sharp point off of the lever. when the lever flexes inward(its a little loose is that normal?) it hits the case. Also im new to riding and this is a new bike, I have a new pair of tech8s and realized i needed to adjust the lever up so I could get the boot under to shift. It works fine for me with regular hiking boots on. Is it normal to have to adjust to fit yourself? :applause:

Thanks,

Gus

I had to rotate my lever up a notch or 2 when I got my tech 8s also.

Not sure about it hitting the case, you could pull it off the splines a little more if its recessed.

my oe shifter did the same. even my 1" extended does it. it will just scratch the cfc a little.cosmetic damage only. with the oe aluminum, i bent it out slightly(while off the bike) to give it some clearance. now my bike has that"off road" look to it, so i just don't care :applause:

I spent the $$ ofnthe CFC's, took off my shifter and filed and sanded it until it was smooth as a baby's bottom, put the shifter back on, and proceeded to wear a groove in my CFC after one ride.

Went home and loosened the bolt that holds the shifter, pulled it out as far as I could with the bolt still in, tightened and found that I had a gap of over 1/8" and it has not rubbed since.

The shifter being loose on the splines does happen, but it's not "normal". The shifter should be clamped down tight on the splines at the height that you set it at. There's a groove in the shift shaft so that even if the bolt gets loose, the shifter still won't fall off unless the bolt comes all the way out. That groove gives you a little leeway to move the shifter in or out on the splined shaft. Loosen the shifter bolt, then move the shifter out far enough to clear the mag case and retighten the bolt. If the shifter still hits the case when it's all the way out in the play of the groove, then the shifter or the shaft is bent. In fact, it should clear the case even when centered in the play of the groove. Truth be known, many are likely bent to one degree or another.