Sign in to follow this  

drz 400e jetting?

Gday,have a 2003 drz400e and am having issues where it shuts down at small throttle openings then comes back to life again like someone is turning the kill switch on and off.its usually happens at a constant throttle setting and does not affect the bike when larger amounts of throttle are dialled in and its on song.it has also been known to stop when idling down a steep hill with the clutch pulled in.i have changed the spark plug and it was not fouled,have drained the bowl twice but found nothing and have also checked every electrical connection i can find for a dodgy connection but found nothing and there are no crimped wires anywhere that i can see.the only mods i have are that the shop i bought it from removed the restriction in the end of the exhaust and i don't know if they touched the jetting.the weather here has cooled since i bought the bike and it has only been the past month or so that the problem has been there so i thought maybe the change in air density might have just been enough to upset the jetting if it was already close to being out of tolerance.only other thing is that on the past 3 rides i have blown the tail light as well but thought this could be because as the bike kicks back in with a fist full of throttle(because i'm pissed off!)it might be getting a sudden surge though the electrics?

i'm new to this,but i posted this thread last friday and still no reply!maybe your all just predjudice against us aussies but i really would appreciate any input anyone has.

in order to be of any real help i would need to knwo the current jetting.

the jetting should in the realm of-

160 main jet

dxp needle

5th clip

45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw.

btw,nobody is predjudice.

thanks for the reply but hopefully i wont have to do any more tinkering!.took the side stand cut out switch off said drz the other day and proceeded to take it through some of the nastiest terrain we've seen at bob's country bunker in quite a while, about 90 kms of it and an awfull lot of slow rocky stuff with small throttle openings was attacked by all present, and wouldn't ya know it, not a glitch in sight all day. fingers crossed that was it and it stays away!