Sign in to follow this  

Heart Rate Monitors

I just bought a heart rate monitor, great little device. it actually makes me move and train, I just set in my low heart rate and then my hi heart rate and It beeps if you drop below your low or if you pass your high. It also has differnt zones for either leisure, fitness or sports. Very nice, sorry I'm a little excited about it(new toy).

How many here use heart rate monitors for training? :applause::eek:

i use it when i run and cycle, it's cool, one time i used it while riding and i got my heart rate up to 201bps and burned 1300 calories in 3 hours

with breaks in between riding so more like a total of 2.5 hours

it's the best thing you can do for training. It is a body tachometer.

for instance for years my training consisted of going to the gynm and lifting medium to heavy 2 days a week and maybe twice a month jogging maybe 1.5-2 miles. I thought I was in good shape but could only ride 5-7 minute moto's before getting too tired to hang on. I got a HR monitor 2 yrs ago and read up a little on how to train with it. It appears that in my previous running I was probably training at 90-95% max heart rate and couldn't maintain it for more than the 1.5 miles or so. So, I backed it down and by keeping it under 85% I can run for 50 minutes non-stop and for the final mile I can keep my HR up around 95-98% completing the 1 hour run once a week. My new training combined with downsizing to a 250F my saddletime has better than doubled!

Summation: it is the best thing I've done for my training. while lifting I wear it and changed my approach there to doing 3 sets of 15 reps per excercise ( nearing failure on the 15th rep) with only a 30 sec rest between sets. My average HR for an hour is about 135 which is less than the running but still in the cardio zone. the only negative is when there are too many people in the gym you can't share a station as they go too slow.

I use one for training and cycling. I think they are awesome and stop me from training too hard. If only you could use one when practising at the track.

I have tried to use mine during practise but the motor interferes with the monitor. Has anyone managed to get theirs to work while doing mx? What brand?

we used them in school this year, it was nice to know my max heart rate.

i dont think my hr gets very high when i am riding, except when i crash

Fat Fingers, I'm doing exactly what you're on to, and it is awesome.

With the brand I'm using there's no interference. Try using an R (resistor) type spark plug. Thought I heard/read somewhere that non-resistor spark plugs can cause interference with other electrical equipment close by.

After using a mid-range Polar hr monitor for training at the gym for a few years, I thought "what if..?"

I got the cheapest Polar monitor and put it on the bars, padding it on the inside with a piece of keyboard handrest for the vibration and shocks, and securing it with a zip-ty in case a pin would break.

It only shows the hr and doesn't log anything, but it has large numbers that can be read over jumps or by slowing down a second over easy terrain.

Having a tacho for your body is invaluable. Having a max heart rate of 180 I have found from trial and error that 160-170 after a good warm-up is my range in MX and ok for a max of about 25 minutes. For enduros my range is about 145-160 and is ok for about 2 hours.

It becomes very obvious when exceeding the max capability of the body because you start making a lot of mistakes and reaction times slow down fast. By going back down into the appropriate "hr range" the mistakes become fewer, riding becomes more fun and a lot safer.

The heart can't be trained to pump faster, but with long-term conditioning it can pump more with each stoke and the body can become better at abzorbing oxygen. So, during the day's training the only thing that can be done is to ride better, more efficiently, and more relaxed.

Now, if only Kevin Windham's style could be cloned and somehow injected into the nervous system... :applause:

Can I please get some names and brands that you guys are using? Perhaps some links aswell? I am very interested in getting one for training!

Thanks a lot.

polar too and mine works while i ride but i have only done it once cause i dont want to screw it up or something, even though it's water proof i dont swim with it either

I think they are completely worthless. One person on here said it stops them from training too hard?!?! Unles you have known heart problems you are just using it as a crutch. The whole fat burning zone idea is completely misleading.

If you are modifying your workout based on these readings you are shortchanging yourself. There are so many more factors infinitely more important than heart rate.

F350Lee, I couldn't disagree with you more. When I got mine (Polar brand), I found I was running too hard. I was spiking my heart rate and putting my body into survival mode. Once you go there, you are no longer gaining any benefit, partly because the body is being over stressed and partly because no one has the endurance to keep up that level of work/effort for the time required to see improvements. Classic example of less is more. In the first 6 weeks after using it to train, I made more progress than I did in the previous 3 months with no other changes to account for the rapid improvement. If you look at any top endurance athlete (runner, swimmer, cyclist, tri-athlete), they will all use HR monitors for training. Is it the be all, end all for improvement? No, of course not because there is no one magic item for that. It is a valuable tool to help you get maximum results from your effort.

I know..everyone who uses them are going to say how great they are. But there is no scientific evidence to back up what you are saying. A classic example of less is more is actually HIIT training. If I ran and stayed within my whatever heartrate zone you think is ideal, I could run all day long. Only by pushing past that can you improve.

It's no different than lifting weights. If you keep lifting the same weight, you will not gain size. You need to increase either weight or duration. Pushing yourself past ideal heartrate is the way to do the same thing was cardio...it increases the load and not the duration.

As far as scientific evidence, what exactly do you consider survival mode? Is that an increase in cortisol? If so that happens more with longer duration than it does with higher intensity. There are studies to back this up if you are that sure I'm lying I can dig them up in the next couple days and post them. But of course I would rather not spend the time proving this. Haha.

You all can go on measuring your heartrates if you want and tuning down your workouts and it won't effect me in the slightest. Common sense says , and science proves that busting your ass HARD will make better gains than limping along trying not to get too worked up. (As long as you don't keep working that hard for more than 45 minutes to an hour...because then the cortisol WILL start to rise, putting your body into a catabolic state.)

Actually after writing that last sentence I may have realized your points. Heartrate would be good for the endurance athletes that you mentioned...but endurance athletes don't worry about strength or body composition or they wouldn't be subjecting their body to that torture in the first place. Marathons are horrible for you. I guess it's about different goals... so you can disregard my comments if you don't care about muscle size, strength, or looks, and you care more about endurance (which I'm not knocking, it's just different than my goals).

I guess it's about different goals... so you can disregard my comments if you don't care about muscle size, strength, or looks, and you care more about endurance (which I'm not knocking, it's just different than my goals).

I think endurance is what we are all after, for the most part, as far as riding goes. A heart rate monitor is a tachometer for your body, just like your car. You don't want to over rev your car, just like your body. Your body is a high performance machine and this is just one more way to monitor it.

It's no different than lifting weights. If you keep lifting the same weight, you will not gain size. You need to increase either weight or duration. Pushing yourself past ideal heartrate is the way to do the same thing was cardio...it increases the load and not the duration

If you keep lifting the same weight AND DON"T increase reps, you are correct, their is little to no gain eventually once your body adapts. But that is not what anyone is saying about the monitors. That it justifies a "lazy" workout. You always at some point have to increase intensity or duration to keep seeing gains in what ever form you are looking.