Sign in to follow this  

i feel defeated (tires)

well today my friend brought his bike over here for me to help him put new tires on it. it had been sitting at a shop for 2 weeks and they hadn't touched it and they still didn't know when they'd get around to it. well i thought we were just replacing the rear tube, because he said ive got "A" flat. so i thought no biggie, ive done tubes many times before and ill have it in no more than 30 mins. well he shows up with front and rear brand new tires and tubes. now we start working on getting his rear tire off and its sunrotted so its impossible. freakin hard as rock. after about 1.5 hrs we get just the back tire off and the the new one starts going on. after all is said and done we spent about 3 hours on doing the rear tire and tube. we go to fill it up, and it leaks :eek: . the hardest part was doing the tire, but if the tube held air that would have been fun too.

i enjoy helping him with anything thought because he owns all the land i ride on, so i dont mind in the least bit, just pissed off because ive done this many times before, just these are giving me some real trouble. looks like ive got some work ahead of me tomarrow. hopefully ill fix it tomarrow and ride it to his house for him as a suprise. because hes supposed to come back over friday and help. but ive got a good 5-6 hours of downtime that ill be spending on those tires tomarrow :applause:

I know how you feel. I was trying to change a flat on my CRF50. You'd think it would be easier since it's smaller, but oh no. I pinched the tube THREE times, then my Dad (who I will mention is a surgeon) pinched two more times. After patch after patch, and a couple new tubes, then some more patches, we finally got it on there. It was a week long project. It was impressive that rounded tire irons could wreak soo much havoc on a tube. If it goes flat again, I think I'll cry.

i think you're doing something wrong if it takes you three hours to change a tube. i can do it in about 30 mins in the gravel parking lot without a stand. there MUST be a post on TT about this, technique, slippery stuff to use, etc. save a few hours by spending a few minutes on TT. as far as pinching the newly replaced tube during installation? well, i think we've all done that. it's is frustrating, no doubt about it.

i just take it to the shop and spend 10 bucks and usually it only takes them about an hour :applause:

To stop pinching the tub put either some baby powder on the tube or some soapy water on the tube and you wont pinch it.

bobbysands.. im not just changing tubes here.. im talking about the entire tire. i did 3 tubes the other day on 3 different tires in less than an hour. if it was just the tubes it would have been a problem. the hardest thing to deal with it the sun rotted tires. but im using baby powder and dawn dishwashing soap, that made things a bit easier, but ive still got a job ahead of me.

atleast we got more done than the shop had :applause:

if everything goes smoothly tomarrow hopefully we can ride together for the first time in 3 months :eek:

i guess i don't understand. i know you were talking about changing tires/tubes, but taking an old tire off a rim is a piece of cake, and putting one side of a new tire bead back on isn't hard at all, either. the only hard part is that second bead, which i admit is a hard road.

anyway, good luck and have a good ride.