Sign in to follow this  

450X; more power? anyone?

Looking for guidence in making more HP for the X.

After the full uncorking and jetting, more is needed.

I am thinking:

1. RPM 498cc kit

2. CHM custom exhaust to match new cylinder

3. Re- jet to match same

I know that's gonna get close to $1.8k by the time I'm done, but.......

I want ultra reliability, not a time bomb, so I think avoiding cams, High compression pistons, and hot ignitions is a wise move for me.

Any suggestions?

Remember: gotta be "green sticker" in California!

Remember: gotta be "green sticker" in California!

I am in Cali also, just curious why you put that. What effect would these mods have on it being green stickered?

I'm sorry , I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I don't race but I have never been in a situation on the X where I thought to myself wow I could have really used more power .In what situation do you feel you need more?

I was just heading off the "sell it and buy and R" comments.

Ahh ok, sell it and buy an 02 R, they are green sticker. Hehe just messin :applause:

Anyways whatever you do your bike is gonna be sweet. I can't imagine a 498 kit, holy crap. I want to ride it, where in Cali did you say you were? :eek:

Did you do the comp only hop up from honda's the "Wrench"?

They say to put in the r cam and header plus cut the airbox in half.

Then jet oh and cut the pink wire and other things.

What all did you do?

I'm sorry , I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I don't race but I have never been in a situation on the X where I thought to myself wow I could have really used more power .In what situation do you feel you need more?

1. Have you ever been riding in a field of whoops, each one between 30" and 40" deep, with varying distance between each mound? ...and run out of over-rev?....and know that if you let off the throttle for a second, you will die?

2. Have you ever been climbing a variable rise, low grade hill, for miles, and get tired of downshifting at the bottom of each rise?

3. Have you ever been riding behind buddies your on a hardpacked fireroad, unable to pass without fanning the clutch to get that immediate power, and losing traction each time, because you cannot "tract" the power enough to keep traction? Any you are eating 3 knobbies worth of roost!?!

4.Have you ever been climbing a REALLY steep hill, and backed of the throttle for one second, only to find you have only torque left, but not enough to push you forward (and you fall and break your collar bone)?

Have I made my point????

Good power is always good. More good power is always better.

Did you do the comp only hop up from honda's the "Wrench"?

They say to put in the r cam and header plus cut the airbox in half.

Then jet oh and cut the pink wire and other things.

What all did you do?

I don't want an R powerband.

Ahh ok, sell it and buy an 02 R, they are green sticker. Hehe just messin :applause:

Anyways whatever you do your bike is gonna be sweet. I can't imagine a 498 kit, holy crap. I want to ride it, where in Cali did you say you were? :eek:

I just sold a worn out '02.....I kind of wish I had kept it, except is needed about 2k worth of work to make it close to fresh again.

I live in LA; Chatsworth to be exact, and need more people to ride with!

-Hungry Valley, Spangler Hills, Corral Canyon, Lark Canyon, Texas Canyon (been a decade), Rohr Flats (when desperate).

chatsworth? right on I am over in Santa Clarita and I work in Encino.

1. Have you ever been riding in a field of whoops, each one between 30" and 40" deep, with varying distance between each mound? ...and run out of over-rev?....and know that if you let off the throttle for a second, you will die?

2. Have you ever been climbing a variable rise, low grade hill, for miles, and get tired of downshifting at the bottom of each rise?

3. Have you ever been riding behind buddies your on a hardpacked fireroad, unable to pass without fanning the clutch to get that immediate power, and losing traction each time, because you cannot "tract" the power enough to keep traction? Any you are eating 3 knobbies worth of roost!?!

4.Have you ever been climbing a REALLY steep hill, and backed of the throttle for one second, only to find you have only torque left, but not enough to push you forward (and you fall and break your collar bone)?

Have I made my point????

Good power is always good. More good power is always better.

Yes you have made your point. Your riding style and ability is far beyond my own and one which I am not familiar with. You clearly need all the power you can get.

"Yes you have made your point. Your riding style and ability is far beyond my own and one which I am not familiar with. You clearly need all the power you can get."

Well ok then

I was just heading off the "sell it and buy and R" comments.

Opps I misread your post.

I thought you said you were heading off to sell it and buy and R.

:applause:

I see now.

I am sorta in the same spot. Butt I have only had a chance to ride mine once.

I did not want to flog it on break in butt I was surprised at how unsurprising the power seemed. :eek:

I am going to ride it in a couple of my favorite spots an evaluate what mods I'll do.

Anyway I think I will get a exhaust , cut the pink wire and open up the air box then jet it.

I think that would pep it up without it being an "R" powerband.

You seem annoyed that no one is saying yeah get the big bore.........

So.

Yeah go for it you know you want it.

And that steal cylinder is way more reliable than that stock cylinder coating. 🙂

All righty then. 😛

You will find that the bike will gain mucho power after putting on a few miles. Mine went from "oh crap, what did I buy?" to " hmm, not bad..." at about 80 miles.

It really is an amazingly stable bike; I got off the X and on to a '04 WR450 last week end, and was amazed at how the WR felt like a truck with with a flat tire.

:eek: I just ordered a RPM 498 kit for my 450X. should be here in a couple weeks! $999.99 ouch. but what the hell you only live once. Its only money, can't take it with you :applause:

Looking for guidence in making more HP for the X.

After the full uncorking and jetting, more is needed.

what is uncorking?

Do a search on "'uncorking 450x"

A commonly use term for removing the EPA and California restrictions, to improve overall performance. Honda has a program for all of its trail bikes, to turn them into "competition" tuning, by "uncorking" restrictions. These trail bikes come frighteningly lean from the factory.

Typically:

-opening up the air box on the top or side (or both) to allow a greater flow of air.

-removing the the highly restrictive backfire screen in the air box.

-removing all smog crap

-opening up the exhaust to allow for a greater flow (to match the airbox); Typically this is done by an aftermarket replacement "tip" or, by cutting the most restrictive portions of the removable "tip". DO NOT LEAVE TIP OUT COMPLETELY; it runs worse.

-then, after doing all of this, re jet the carb to match the increased flow ( JD jetting makes a kit if you don't like experimenting)

-removing any "restrictor plates" or "stops" on the carb.

Then it begins:

-Then you by a cam, and a pipe, and have the heads ported, and drill holes in the valves to make them lighter, and use helium in the tires, and carbon fiber rims, and use $7.00 a gallon gas, and have sex with your sister, and dogs and cats are sleeping together, kill the mailman.....then get a BETTER pipe, and port the heads some more, and put on a twin turbo AND a supercharger AND carbon fiber grips.....

i think i need more power all the time