Showa or Kayaba, What's The Difference?

I have a 2004 KX250F w/ Kayaba Suspension and in stock form they were harsh. Even after Pro Circuit worked on the forks I still felt they were harsh better but not perfect.The KXF came with Kayabas in 2005 as well, although I don't know if the forks were an updated Kayaba version.Maybe they are better than the 2004 Kayaba's.Now the 2006 KXF is coming with Showas.Probably the same that everyone has raved about that come on the Honda CRF250. My question is an important one because I am going to purchasing a new bike maybe even the KTM SXF250 which doesn't use Showa or Kayaba.Here's the Question. What is the difference between Kayaba & Showa.Is one better than the other? What are the pros & cons of each fork?What about KTM'S WP forks, are they better than Kayaba or Showa? I'm leaning toward the KXF because it's now going into it's 3rd year but I'm concerned about the suspension especially the fron end.

The bladder forks that came on your bike had issues. They were the same in '05.

The Showa TC forks are excellent.

You'll probably need to talk to some of the tuners to get an unbiased opinion on the WP forks, but they don't have the best reputation. WP supposedly has TC forks in the works but I don't know if they're going to be on the '06 KTM's.

The SXF has some nice features but I won't consider another KTM until I hear a lot of good things about the suspension for several years straight.

:applause:

The harshness in your '04 KXF forks is most likely the bladder. The '05 forks are better but can still use some help. The Showas on the new '06's will most likely be better yet.

The WP's are also good forks but like any of the others have their issues too. Find a reputable suspension tuner near you and you will be happy with whatever bike you choose.

doc