Sign in to follow this  

Brand New CRF what should i do?

I just got a new crf i ridden it a few times i like it alot is there anything i should check or do before i ride it heavily other than the ovious things. By the way in my kit it came with another jet im assuming this is for after you break it in. also there was a like metal type rod with a rubber tube on the end whats up with this? thanks alot

steve

Congrats on getting your new bike, did you get an R or an X? The jet is just if you need to change it, I never changed mine. The little metal tool is to adjust the fuel screw in your carb. I bought a brand new 05 250R a few months ago and I had to do a few general maintenance things....

- Break it in and change the oil

- Break it in and check the valves (you will find the sticky post at the top of the forum VERY useful in this)

- Go over EVERY SINGLE BOLT on the bike and make sure its tight as I lost a subframe bolt and a few other bolts because I didnt do this.

- Grease your linkage and headset bearings because these usually arent greased very well from the factory.

- Clean your air filter regularly.

- Post pics ASAP.

- Have a crap ton of fun.

i thought the metal tool was to clean out the drain hole on the side of the cylinder that comes from the spark plug bore. it is pointed, so the rubbet "boot" is just as a safety measure for you.

The little tool with the rubber tip is used to remove the jet needle from the top of the carb. The rubber tip is to grip on to the top of the jet needle so that you can pull it out easier.

If you don't know... don't guess and confuse other people.

Congrats! Buy a D.I.D. X-ring chain, get the fuel screw adjusted properly, and adjust the spokes after the first few rides. Set the rear race sag after 1-2 hours on it. Change the oils after the first ride and every 3-5 hours after that. Ride it!

Steve and Vel at least someone knows.You would think people would read the owners manual before making a statement.After all you know what happens when you assume, :applause:

Steve and Vel at least someone knows.You would think people would read the owners manual before making a statement.After all you know what happens when you assume, :applause:

ive never known anyone who learned how to ride from a book !!!!

ive never known anyone who learned how to ride from a book !!!!

No, but you might learn how to work on your bike the right way. :applause:

We should start a poll to see how many people actually do read the manual when they buy a bike. I know after spending 5K+ on my new bike, I practically memorized the damn thing. There is the answer to most of questions in that book. I only wish manufacturers would supply a shop manual with the bikes. But I guess that would put their "mechaninics" out of business.

I tightened the rear spokes, yanked the air filter screen out, changed the oil and went over the bolts.

Did you rejet it after you took the screen out? My bike ran like crap when I pulled it out.

i got the R i financed it for 12 monthe 3.9% $39 a month ill post some picks up today.

thanks

steve

i got the R i financed it for 12 monthe 3.9% $39 a month ill post some picks up today.

thanks

steve

ruh oh whats your interest going to be after 12 months?

24.9% :eek:

Yeah, so at that rate, you'll basically be paying about $1,500 just in interest annually... ouch! that hurts more than getting hurled off your bike and landing full mount on a cactus :applause:

working on the bike the right way does not always mean using "honda" tools.... in fact, i have several for my bike that i have made myself to make things much easier.

ruh oh whats your interest going to be after 12 months?

I would refinance that badboy after your first year for a little cheaper payments, after your first year of $39 they are going to rape you. :applause:

Dont forget tire pressure!!! probably one of the most over looked items.

the bike it going be paid before the interest jumps up i financed it for 12 months so have plenty of time to pay it off.