Sign in to follow this  

hoping to get a yz250f. HELP

hi, a friend if mine has a 2004 yz250f (REP suspension, ported and polished with a recent top end) he says he'll sell it to me for around $3200 at the end of the season, is this a good deal? it was raced in the expert class so im not sure if i should stay away from it or not becasue it was railed on, but taken care of i guess. is there a reason i should save for a 2005 if i could get one for a decent price? are the changes worth the extra $$$? should i look for a bike with less time on it?

any input you can give is appreciated.

thanks, Ben

I don't know, as far as the suspension goes, it may not suit your riding ability or weight. Also,if it was owned by a expert chances are that they rode it hard. These bike have a great reputation for reliability but you just never know when the motor could go. As for saving for an 05, you could go that route, but if you are waiting until the end of the season, I would go with an 06.

i dont think i can afford a brand new 2006 yz250f if thats what you meant, i would have to wait for a used 06. how soon do you think i could get a used 06, and for how much about???

thanks,

Ben

I would say that is a good deal. Yes it was used hard, but it has to be running in top shape to be competitive, so it's probably taken care of.

Check the tires, grips and all the $20 hear $50 there items that ware out. When its up on the stand, grab the rear tire and try to pull it up and down. If there is a good amount of freeplay, the linkage bearings need replacement ($100, I found out the hard way). It's hard to know what needs replacing when you are looking at it, but try and add it up in your head. Take that number +$3200... if that = your budget... buy it.

I would not wait for an 06. Everyone and their brother wants one, so you will have to pay big bucks to get a used one (if you can find one). The 04 was a good year for the YZF. Take a look around the pits at a moto race. Half the 250Fs are Yam 03-05 YZFs. The only reason you don't see many 01-02s is that they are older and not as refined as the last three models have been.

Buuut I'm rambling. I'm not an expert, but I would say if you pay $3200 for an 04 that is:

-immaculate: every thing is in great shape and looks brand new, pay the money and run cuz you stole it.

-in good shape: yeah he rode it hard and it looks kinda tuff, but it's mechanically sound, that is a fair price

-beat: There isn't a tired stead out there that is worth more than $2500. If it needs anything requiring disassembly $2500 or walk away. When you start taking it apart you find out all the nasty little suprises that need replacing and you spend allot of time in the garage. Take it from a guy who bought a beet bike, you don't want that head ache.

I hope that helps. If you do end up buying it, either have him rebuild the top end or do it yourself. Start fresh and don't let anyone else tell you different.

thats a big help, thanks "Ambluemax". Also what do you think of an 05 compared to an 06. Are the new forks and stuff worth the extra??? otherwise i think ill go with my buddies 04.

thanks for the help.

Ben

thats a big help, thanks "Ambluemax". Also what do you think of an 05 compared to an 06. Are the new forks and stuff worth the extra??? otherwise i think ill go with my buddies 04.

thanks for the help.

Ben

i meant an 04 compared to an 05, sorry

ben

i have 2 2003's.

One i ride and rode in vet b class and one that was bought for a gift that has never been riden, it is brand new.

If you want a new one 3800 will take it.

The one your friend has looks like a good deal.

Check suspention on his bike. it and all mods should fit you. or money will need to be spent again.