Sign in to follow this  

Wallowing

I checked the rider sag on my drz the other day and it was about 2". (Suspension was sent out to factory connection for service and i just htrew the shock back in.) Needless to say i adjusted it to the 105mm suggested. I have ridden it twice since then and have noticed that the bike now wallows when you do a moderate G out. You get this slow speed head and tail shake waggling thing going on. nothing scarey but definitly noticeable. It didn't do this when sag was at 2". Clickers are about 5 in from full soft and rebound is about 10 out from full hard. I didn't mess with the clickers after the sag adjustment. looking for suggestions on "tuning out" the wallowing. I'm hoping it's just a matter of dialing it in with the clickers. One thing i'm a little worried about is that i have always told FC to set it up for a geared up rider in the 210 to 220 range. I put all my gear on including camel back and tool pouch and i have 20lbs of gear . My weight is currently 207 and won't ever go below 200. So now i'm really looking at rider weight of 215 to 230. I'm wondering if maybe the bike is undersprung. It seemed to ride pretty good at 2" of rider sag tho!!

How much free sag with your 105 rider? What rate did they put on? Sounds like you could probably go to a stiffer rear spring tho.

doc

Hmmm something doesn't sound right. At your weight I would think that you would have better sag numbers than that with the 5.6. For now tho I would worry more about your free sag. Set it at 28-30mm's and see how it feels.

doc

I agree, something ain't right. I wonder if i'm screwing up the measurement some how. Tough to do that tho, just running a tape from the axle center to the seat bolt.

You are starting your readings with the bike on a stand right?

Then take it off and under its own weight (bars straight forward) take the measurement again. (Free sag) Then sit on it (normal riding position) and take a 3rd measurement....(rider sag)

Make sure all linkage & swingarm brgs. are greased good.

doc