Dirt bike vs. Quad

Help me out guys. In your opinion which type of bike is more safe, a sport quad or a dirt bike. I have rode both some but neither alot. I have always been willing to try anything (most anything) no matter how dangerous but I am now 36 with a wife and child to support. I guess two surgeries on a shoulder and one on a foot (seperate long term sports related injuries, not from riding) will make a man think about possibly having to change careers because of a major injury. I'm not going to "not ride" so I am just looking for some input from your guys. I'll either get a WR250 or a Z400 quad. I'm leaning toward the WR for two reasons, I have more experience on dirt bikes and my son will probably start riding in a couple of years and I have heard that quads are much more dangerous for that age qroup (that may be a load but thats what I've heard). Three reasons I guess, I usually ride pretty tight trails (North Carolina) and I think a dirt bike would be better for that type of riding.

Thanks for your input.

I would say a bike is safer. You can flip a quad turning if you dont lean hard enough, quads are harder to jump IMO and on the trails they are wider and easier to hit a tree or whatever, plus bikes are more fun!

I'd say it's much easier to get lax due to a false sense of safety on a quad and end up going too fast for conditions.

It's like adults on mini bikes: They are small and don't seem to be capable of hurting an adult so there is a false sense of safety.

There's no such thing as a safe quad or dirt bike. Either has the potential to maim or kill you even when ridden properly. That is the nature of riding off-road. Fortunately, there are ways to minimize the dangers. Proper riding gear, well-maintained vehicle, riding within your skill level, knowing your riding area. All these things combined with experience can lead to safe and accident-free riding, but even the best riders get hurt. Being honest with yourself about what you expect from riding and what you are willing to put into it will go a long way to reducing your risk. Do NOT buy a quad because you think it will be a good way to interact with your children. Ultimately, your choice should be geared towards what the majority of your riding friends are on. Having a dirt bike and no one to ride with will sour you on the experience. Conversely, being the only one with a quad will limit how often your friends ask you to join them.

I agree w/ RadRick to some extent. I can tolerate riding with sport quads, but if your friends have sport utilities, you'll be doing a lot of waiting if your on a bike. I would hope we all wear the proper protective equiptment, however most of us still enjoy pushing our limits. The thing is a four-wheeler can cause far worst injuries if it falls on you. I would guess that a four-wheeler is also more likely to land on your head/neck or torso areas where a dirtbike is more likely to land on your legs.

I have heard that quads are much more dangerous for that age qroup (that may be a load but thats what I've heard). Three reasons I guess, I usually ride pretty tight trails (North Carolina) and I think a dirt bike would be better for that type of riding.

Thanks for your input.

quads are definitely, provably, much more dangerous, mostly due to the highside crashes where the quad then squashes you.

not sure what exactly you mean by 'tight trails', but what i call tight trails are impassable to a quad. unless your legs are paralyzed, or you are for some other reason unable to balance on 2 wheels, i can think of no conceivable reason for a sane person to choose a quad over a bike.

mw

I was told by the attending E.R physician when my son broke his arm on his RM100 that in his time there, he has treated an imeasureable number of quad injuries. He had seen very few motorcycle injuries come through the E.R. He was a bike rider himself and also said he would never buy a quad due to that fact. Personally, I've had both and it scares me much more to be out of control on a quad than to be out of control on a bike. It could just be that I'm "used" to being out of control on a bike though!!!LOL! (go with the bike)

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing (two wheels better than four) but I wanted some input from the more experienced. I have always pushed harder than I should, before I should. I'll have to work on that but at least I'll be on the right machine.

Thanks

They are both inherently dangerous, but that depends on the rider, etc. If i was in a crash i would rather go down on a bike. Would hate to have the 300 pound quad laying on, rolling over me...

I have both and love both. Both have different learning curves. They are so much different. You get different feelings on each. Im more balls to the wall on my quad than my motorcycle. I know u have to ride alot to feel comfortable on the machine. My secret is::: No your limits. go beyond, you get in trouble and hurt.

quads are definitely, provably, much more dangerous, mostly due to the highside crashes where the quad then squashes you.

There has yet to be any definable study to back up such an opinion. The main problem with quads is not the vehicle, but the mentality of the people that ride them. Since they don't require balance and often weigh a lot more than their riders, they tend to be ridden in a way that causes accidents. Unlike a motorcycle that demands respect, a quad is often looked at as a toy or as being somehow safer. Anything with a motor deserves respect, whether it has 2, 3 or 4 wheels.

I was told by the attending E.R physician when my son broke his arm on his RM100 that in his time there, he has treated an imeasureable number of quad injuries. He had seen very few motorcycle injuries come through the E.R. He was a bike rider himself and also said he would never buy a quad due to that fact.

Anecdotal evidence is rarely sufficient in proving a point. All your statement could mean is that there are a lot more ATV riders than dirt bike riders in the area of that hospital. Given that ATV sales have been more than triple that of dirt bikes for the past several years, the fact that injuries on ATVs is higher probably has more to do with sheer numbers than any inherent danger. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying an ATV is any less dangerous. Just that numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story.

There has yet to be any definable study to back up such an opinion. The main problem with quads is not the vehicle, but the mentality of the people that ride them. Since they don't require balance and often weigh a lot more than their riders, they tend to be ridden in a way that causes accidents. Unlike a motorcycle that demands respect, a quad is often looked at as a toy or as being somehow safer. Anything with a motor deserves respect, whether it has 2, 3 or 4 wheels.
Pretty much you just summed it up. Over weight, out of shape, unskilled riders sitting on top of 50hp 400lb machines.

Put that same person on a bike and 90% of them only ride once.

I think everyone here probably leans towards moto's since we all probably own one. I do believe ATV's are alot more dangerous, everyone has already touched on the reasons why: turning over, heavy, perception of safety.

I have several bikes and 2 quads, for some reason when I get on my 4-wheeler (utility) I never even think about putting on a helmet. Yet, I have had more damaging wrecks on it than my a#$ fast wr250f, and I rarely start it without having a helmet on much less ride it!!! I don't like my kids riding on the quads, no way in hell could my 6yr girl or 10yr boy turn the Rancher off themselves, but they can get out of the way and from under the xr50 and xr80.

Ultimately it's your decision, and if you ask this question in a quad forum, you will probably not hear any votes for 2wheels. Ask yourself where and who you will ride with, wearing protection, regardless? Son's riding ability and maturity.