Sign in to follow this  

Edelbrock with electric start kit

Does anyone have the edelbrock pumper carb AND electric start on their XR400 ? Either the 400EX conversion or the Joe Racer E-start kit ? I am wanting to know if the Edelbrock carb will clear the starter motor that sits behind the cylinder head once you get the e-start put on.

anyone ?

Scott,

If you can give me a dimension to work with, I'll measure my Quiksilver setup on my XR4 and post it.

BTW, what brand autoclutch do you have on your XR4?

RH

The starter sits behind the cylinder head. I need to know the dimesnion of the lower most part your carb in two places. From the lower most part of the carb to the back of the cylinder head and from the lower most part of the carb to the top of the back part of the engine directly under the carb. Look at the picture on page 6 of this pdf file and you will see what I mean. http://www.joeracerproducts.com/pdf/xr400.pdf xr400.pdf

I have the EFM auto-clutch. I like it a lot. It was 1/2 the price of the revloc and seems to operate the same way as the revloc we installed on my brother's XR650. I wanted a Rekluse but they told me it was about 6 months away. Same answer they told me for about 2 1/2 years.

The bottom of the QS carb (which I think is aft of the starter motor judging from the joeracer pic) is right at 2 7/8" above the case. The closest point to the cylinder is about 2 1/8" back from the lower fin set. Oddly enough, our XR4 has the welded on fin set as shown in the joeracer pic.

It looks like it would work but it might be close.

Have you asked the folks at Edelbrock if it will fit? They may already have a customer that has installed with an estart XR4.

RH

Thanks for the measurements, I will check it out. already asked edelbrock and everyone I can find that sells the carb if they know of an installation like that and no one does. I am guessing that it will be close but OK becuase even the the carb may mount a little different, edelbrock makes a kit for the trx400 (or 400ex or whatever it is called )4-wheeler and the electric start motor is off of one of those.

I have an xr400 with an ex440 with estart and a qwiksilver carb. no clearance problems