Suspension or Rekluse?

if its tight stuff your gonna need the rekluse. i run 13/52 on my 05 and 1st is still a little tall,but i can't go any lower as top speed has been reduced to the mid 60's. as far as the suspension the forks definately need help from stock for offroad use,factory connection seems to have a handle on the new aoss forks. the 05 shock is awesome as long as its sprung for your weight :applause: some radiator protection and brushgaurds are a must also :eek:

I'm getting into racing hare scrambles on my 05 yz450f,Which do you think would make a better investment?The rekluse or suspension made for my weight and the riding i'll be doing?

The Rekluse will only benefit you in the types of riding it was designed for, primarily tight trails. Suspension mods will make the bike more rideable everywhere. If you weigh more than 175 lbs. (without gear), you have no idea how good your bike's suspension could be. Most bikes come from the factory set up for a 150 lb. rider. The difference between my stock WR450 and after I had Race Tech completely rework it is night and day. For a heavier rider, suspension mods will make them faster than a few engine mods will. Make the bike handle first, then worry about making it faster. :applause:

Ok I ride in the dunes and in the woods and I am 155-160. So what can I do and what would it cost. Can I have a set up that would be good for bolth or easy to adjust?? Also what about the rear. I know nothing about the forks. :applause:

That's a tough one but unless you are way outside the "normal" weight range for these bikes, I think the Rekluse would be a better investment. Here's my reasoning.

The Rekluse will pretty much eliminate all stalling. Unless you have a heavier flywheel, the 450 is prone to stalling. In a Hare Scrambles you will be in a lot of stall prone situations. Each time you stall will cost you a lot of time.

The other thing I've noticed is the Rekluse allows me to ride hard for much longer. In my case anyway, pulling in the clutch was a major factor in arm pump and fatigue. In a long race like a hare scramble, endurance will be a major factor.

Finally, the suspension on the '05 is pretty good right out of the box. There is a lot of tuning you can do with the stock boingers to get the set up for hare scrambles. So like I said, unless you are way outside the weight range for the bike, the stock setup should be pretty good or at least workable.

Answer.....BOTH.

The rear of the YZF is fine ...assuming it has the right spring.

The forks need help. Get them revalved and you will be amazed. They are not terrible from the factory...but they are SOOO much better if you have someone good revalve them.

Satch,your ol 426 was at the hare scrambles on sunday too :eek: he placed 5th.Got buried in a mud hole for a few minutes...his first lap was 8 minutes behind mine.I took first,esley took second...We were all riding open c.Anywho,from what ive found i need to do different springs for the bikes intended use.So suspension will cost me around the $600 mark.But i had custom stuff on my 01 yz250,and i know it can make a heck of a difference :applause:

bozmen is a bit of a drive from here,but theres a harescrambles at terry peak sd in august,september theres a harescrambles in marion nd,and october theres another hare scrambles at the price ranch north of mandan again.

Satch,hes out there making people work to win :applause: tonight i talked to him online,he wants to know when the next race is,he has a need to do better....lol...hes hooked...you should come up and do some harescrambles with us,and become friends with the tree's :eek:

I am planning on the one in SD I just can't figure out why we don't have any races in Montana at least Pipestone I mean theres 600 + miles or trails. Also how many people do you think are at these on average?? I think I'm going to suck but it should be fun.

The first one i was at,there was a lil over 100 riders there,this one id say about 60 or so.Terry Peak I think may be a bit larger race,considering location and such.If you suck,or if your good,its all about having fun.And this is a blast.

personly i think that the auto clucth is stupid, i takes all the fun out of big bikes, i rode one that had it, it was like riding a pw50 or something, it had not hit, took to long for it the fully grab

go for the Suspension

If I had to decide first I would go with the Rekluse. The suspension on the 05 is good already. I have done both but the rekluse is what I like the best. It does make the bike hook up better and does not take away the hit. It is perfect for racing hare scrambles. I would hold off on the suspension and go with the rekluse.

personly i think that the auto clucth is stupid, i takes all the fun out of big bikes, i rode one that had it, it was like riding a pw50 or something, it had not hit, took to long for it the fully grab

go for the Suspension

I can't say how the one you rode was set up, but I know mine hasn't lost any hit. Maybe the one you had was setup to engage at too high an RPM for your taste? Just a guess. Mine hooks up right off idle and the only time it takes to long to fully engage is when I'm in too tall a gear. As long as I keep it in the right gear the thing flat out rips.