Taking Cylinder off

Ok I have a 89 Suzuki LT250R which is a 2-stroke. I am trying to get the cylinder off now and having problems. I got the head part off and am trying to get the cylinder off. There is something on the side that are little metal stick looking things that seem to be holding it up do I disconnect these? It looks like I could disconnect them in the cylinder but doesn't really look like your supposed to and in the bottom end part where it connects it doesn't appear to be a bolt it feels like it should slide out but doesn't seem to how do I get this off?

Not sure what the stick things are that you're talking about. When you finally figure out how to separate the cylinder do not rotate as you lift it off. The rings on a two stroke could damage the cylinder if you rotate it. You probably knew this but in case you didn't.

Ok now the piston is off. It looked fine at first but then I noticed it was cracked but not that rough really would this have made it bad? I'm just not sure this is what it was but probably is. The rings wernt tight around the piston either should they have been?

Jesus H christ man... NEVER do motor work unless the area is clean... Don't even attempt to reassemble 'till you scrub that motor clean and the surrounding areas... try wrapping any loose wiring that has dirt/clay on it (they're a bitch to clean) in plastic wrap so you don't drop any.

Ok now the piston is off. It looked fine at first but then I noticed it was cracked but not that rough really would this have made it bad? I'm just not sure this is what it was but probably is. The rings wernt tight around the piston either should they have been?

I am all for someone learning how to wrench on a bike, and everyone that has learned to wrench on a bike started somewhere, so please don't see this as any sort of flame towards you.

The line "The rings wernt tight around the piston either should they have been?" lets us know your status on engine rebuilds... It's alright, like I said, we all started at the beginning. I started the same place you are in and learned from the school of hard knocks.

There was no internet 25 years ago, it was just me, a crecent wrench, a hammer some pliers - you get the idea. With today's internet world, you can start on a Jr. High level instead of kindergarten...

BUT...

PLEASE GET SOME HELP before you destroy your engine.

First off, get a manual. There is nothing like having instructions to at least help.

Second, the engine should have been as spotless as you could get it before you turned a single nut. (I know this was said already, but it's very important)

The rings are supposed to be loose. They hold themselves against the cylinder wall and seal the top end so it can produce pressure so you get combustion. A stuck ring is a very bad thing and stuff doesn't run anymore.

All righty then...

Since it's a two stroke, you are in some luck. (versus a 4 banger)

To get the piston off, you need to remove the little keeper in the hole in the side of the piston. It's a little c-clip. Use a small awl or flat blade screw driver to go in and push it out of the groove and it should come out.

THROW THIS PIECE AWAY!!!! DO NOT REUSE.

Go into the piston from the opposite side of the ring you just removed and push the wrist pin out of the piston. This will let the piston come off the top of the rod. Tada!

Push the rod down so that it's at the bottom of the stroke, then spray down half a dozen paper towels with some sort of oil - Bell Ray 6 in 1 or something like that - not WD40. Stuff these paper towels down into the area around the crank and rod. get them as far down as you can. Keep stuffing oiled paper towels into the top of the bottom end until you can't get anymore in it. Spray the top of this with more oil - soak the snot out of it.

Now go wash your engine! Get it as clean as you can.

After you've done that, remove the paper towels and spray the whole area down with WD-40.

Take a dry paper towel and start wiping out the bottom end - you can use the rod and crank to help push then around in the bottom - insert between the crank halves, rotate the crank - it will wipe stuff out.

After you get that done, cover it with more paper towels to keep it clean.

Take the jug into the kitchen and wash it with warm soap and water and a good brush (this will piss off the spouse, by the way). Get the whole thing spotless. Don't worry about getting the inside of the jug wet, it's okay.

After it's clean, spray the inside of the jug with WD40. Wipe it all clean.

Now take the top end to a local dealer/builder and have them spec it out. You may need to have it bored, (replated? I don't know that engine) and have them get the correct piston & rings for the bore.

Make sure you get new gaskets - any gasket that touches the cylinder. Get new circlips for the piston, rings, piston, new wrist pin, upper end bearing and spark plug too.

From there, it's just putting it all back together - get that manual and follow the instructions.

Oh- assemble the top end dry. Don't lube the piston, rings, cylinder. (do lube the upper end bearing) Once it's together, crank it thru about 20 times w/o letting it start. Just kick it over slowly. Once you've done that, start it up, let it get warm (idle for 3-4 min) then FLOG IT. Run it hard and mean. You have to seat the rings to make it work correctly and you can't get them seated by ***** footing around with it. Run it like you stole it.

Good luck and have fun learning.

If you get into wrenching, you WILL blow stuff up along the way, but failure is not failure in my eyes - it's a teacher. Sometimes a brutal teacher, but a teacher non the less.

Ok guys thanks for the help. I called a local shop to see how much it would be to have it bored out and they said about $75 that it took an hour and a half and that they wouldn't be able to do it for 2 weeks. Is this about right? Sounds like a rip off to me but then again I have never had it done. A guy was telling me a local machine shop should be able to do it for $25-50 that it doesn't take long but I didn't call them so the bike shops quote seemed high to me.