what is quicker quad vs motorcycle?

If you have 2 stock 450's one being a quad & the other a motorcycle what is quicker around a track?

I would think the acceleration advantage would go to the motorcycle with the handling advantage going to the quad due to more rubber in the dirt

are you kidding?

4 tires on the ground versus 2 skinny ones. 2 wide tires with drive as opposed to one skinny one. Braking just as good if not better than bikes. Then when you consider a quad can slam around a corner and the only way a bike can do that is if you have your beloved 1 foot deep ruts!

Next, power to weight ratio, you got us there. But since 99.9% of you guys never use the full potential of your bikes, whereas a quad can use alot larger percentage of that power, that pretty much evens out the power to weight ratio.

So in other words, those "girls" on those quads will smoke your freakn' ass!!

goods lord. . .do you really believe the shit you're saying? :applause:

:eek:

and i'm not backing down from this point. it's true, LIVED experience. most of the people i meet on quads are not the sort of people i would like to meet and do fall in to certain wide swatches of poor, stereotypical behavior. i allowed for the existence of good quad riders, no doubt. as for motos, well, i'll admit there is a certain segment of community who act poorly. but that's a small segment, near as i can tell. i suspect the percentages are nearly equal and opposite. perhaps the areas in which i ride don't lend themselves to idiotic behavior by motorcyclists. perhaps the large club here shields me from much bad acting. either way, enough of this.

yeah and like i said, i have noticed the exacty same with dirtbikers. 99 out of 100 are idiots. most of the people on this board are cool but that's only a fraction of the people that actually ride in the world.

how can quads and motos run one second slower lap times at Redbud? scroll up and re-read that portion. i think i bring some interesting thoughts to the table. i also asked if someone had lap times for the two sides. i suppose you were too busy with the big book filled with words and definitions to try and find lap times. next it'll be a Strunk and White, i expect.

i already read that portion son and i comprehended it to the fullest, but thank you for your concern. your thoughts weren't at all entertaining and not even close to being interesting. also i absolutely don't care about lap times. if you feel that they are that important then find them for yourself. after your done with that go ahead and finish your homework then ask your ma' if she needs help with the dishes. then before you go to bed take your anti-arrogant/ignorant pills and wait for me to give you your nightly spanking.

:applause:

good lord is that a real question? :eek:

YZF450= 220lb

YFZ450= 390ish

The dirtbike can out run, out handle and out stop the quad. it can also out jump, out scrub.

The bike can handle better on flat land, but a good dirtbike rider can get around the flat corner as fast. Once you put berms or ruts...the bike will then again smoke the quad.

Friend of mine had 2 race quads (yfz450's)

once he added all the skid plates and misc aftermarket part the weight jumped to about 410.

He has both of them fully modded,

yoshi Pipe, hot cams, elka suspension, mx tires and wheels, offroad tires and wheels.

he still can pull a start from me

he still cant hit rutted turns or berms as fast

he still can't hit whoops NEARLY as fast.

and he is limited to line choice of jumps

this is a pro-am WORCS racer.....

Even he knows quads are not as fast as bikes on 90% of the mx track. Even when we desert race, I can do things he cant, but he does have it easy on the uphills, mud, sand...

The only thing the quad has over the bike....is the powerslide. I love to hop on his ATV and powerslide a hard pack rocky dirt corner...feels so cool. But not cooler than hitting the whoops in 4th pinned on a 2-stroke 250.

YZF450= 220lb

YFZ450= 390ish

The dirtbike can out run, out handle and out stop the quad. it can also out jump, out scrub.

The bike can handle better on flat land, but a good dirtbike rider can get around the flat corner as fast. Once you put berms or ruts...the bike will then again smoke the quad.

Friend of mine had 2 race quads (yfz450's)

once he added all the skid plates and misc aftermarket part the weight jumped to about 410.

He has both of them fully modded,

yoshi Pipe, hot cams, elka suspension, mx tires and wheels, offroad tires and wheels.

he still can pull a start from me

he still cant hit rutted turns or berms as fast

he still can't hit whoops NEARLY as fast.

and he is limited to line choice of jumps

this is a pro-am WORCS racer.....

Even he knows quads are not as fast as bikes on 90% of the mx track. Even when we desert race, I can do things he cant, but he does have it easy on the uphills, mud, sand...

The only thing the quad has over the bike....is the powerslide. I love to hop on his ATV and powerslip a hard pack rocky dirt corner...feels so cool. But not cooler than hitting the whoops in 4th pinned on a 2-stroke 250.

Get your facts straight, the YFZ450 weighs 350 pounds not "390ish"!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/323/0/specs.aspx

The bike can handle better on flat ground?? Are you serious!! The quad smokes bikes on flat ground!! That's why you bike guys always whine about quads destroying your ruts on the MX track! Ok, your credibility is gone,,,,NEXT!!!!

I have a lot of friends that ride quads. I like to give them shit in a friendly way, but that's mostly because after riding bikes all these years quads just handle wrong, especially on hillsides.

They get stuck in deep mud I just haul ass through.

My KLX400 is faster in a drag race and I can take shortcuts they don't have room to run.

Get your facts straight, the YFZ450 weighs 350 pounds not "390ish"!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/323/0/specs.aspx

The bike can handle better on flat ground?? Are you serious!! The quad smokes bikes on flat ground!! That's why you bike guys always whine about quads destroying your ruts on the MX track! Ok, your credibility is gone,,,,NEXT!!!!

I meant to say quad. see where I said "the only thing the quad has on the bike is the powerslide" a little lower.

It's called a typo, I hope you didn't soak your tampax over it buddy

Sorry my "cred" is still intact. :applause:

You do know that the quad "ready to race" is about 385-390...

That is yamahas dry weight. Without gas or any fluids and the nerf bars, bompers, skid plates...and beefed up axles and other misc parts you "real" quad racers use...:)

My buddy decieded to shave weight and got the kickstart kit, and took off the battery and e-start. Now its 10lbs lighter...still didn't help him much.

I don't care if quads destroy ruts on the mx track, I like it, puts everyone on there toes...keeps them alert and makes for a good race.

When I race offroad/desert, my class goes after the quads and I LOVE IT, some sections are so thrashed up, only the guys with skill, and a good steering stabilizer are quick in them...I have both those assets, there for those quads help me out :eek: .

You need an attitude check>:p

edited for reasons that should be completely apparent.

i already read that portion (,) son and i comprehended it to the fullest, but thank you for your concern. your thoughts weren't at all entertaining and not even close to being interesting. also (,) i absolutely don't care about lap times. if you feel that they are that important then find them for yourself. after *EDIT you're EDIT* done with that (,) go ahead and finish your homework then ask your ma' if she needs help with the dishes. then (,) before you go to bed take your anti-arrogant/ignorant pills and wait for me to give you your nightly spanking.

:applause:

ahhhh. i knew you'd come through. thanks for another magnificent post. by the bye, i wasn't the one who brought up lap times. it was another fellow who claimed bikes and quads run one second off at Redbud. i wonder what's more interesting to you? the topic of this post (faster bikes vs. quads) or the fact that many people on this board don't like quad riders? (you're very helpful in that endeavor, i might add) if you'd care to forward me any future posts, business papers, or personal correspondence, i'd be happy to proof it for you, kid. generally speaking i would charge for this, but in your 'special' case i'd do it as charity.

again, nice post. good job with the language, excellent work at formulating substantive arguments, thanks for letting this all slide into the nasty side of ad hominem attacks. i won't be reading from this forum again, so don't bother replying unless it's in a PM. if you add your street address i'd be happy to send you a grammar guide. that whole "your" (possessive) and "you're" (contraction for you are) is just mind-boggling, isn't it, kid? don't worry though, most students really get it down about grade 9.

are you kidding?

yea..your right...just a joke

You see, a friend has been talking & talking about how much better quads are then bikes at a track & he thinks that quads are quicker, he raced quads about 8 yrs ago.

I thought bikes would have the acceleration advantage & also jumping adv while handling would go to the quads which from the looks of this thread that's not always the care.

Also, I have been out of this sport for 14 or so year thus I am not up to date on all the technology

I meant to say quad. see where I said "the only thing the quad has on the bike is the powerslide" a little lower.

It's called a typo, I hope you didn't soak your tampax over it buddy

Sorry my "cred" is still intact. :applause:

You do know that the quad "ready to race" is about 385-390...

That is yamahas dry weight. Without gas or any fluids and the nerf bars, bompers, skid plates...and beefed up axles and other misc parts you "real" quad racers use...:)

My buddy decieded to shave weight and got the kickstart kit, and took off the battery and e-start. Now its 10lbs lighter...still didn't help him much.

I don't care if quads destroy ruts on the mx track, I like it, puts everyone on there toes...keeps them alert and makes for a good race.

When I race offroad/desert, my class goes after the quads and I LOVE IT, some sections are so thrashed up, only the guys with skill, and a good steering stabilizer are quick in them...I have both those assets, there for those quads help me out :eek: .

You need an attitude check>:p

Hahaha.

Bikes rule.

if it's sooo much harder to ride a bike then why can i ride much faster on my bike than i could on my quad. oh that's right...maybe it's becaue it's HARDER to ride a quad fast.

or maybe... :applause: just maybe... :eek:

Bikes are faster than quads!!! :):p :p

I just installed my new grips/handguards and fixed my throttle tube (it had mud in it making it stick)... Some will say this post is worthless... but it has more value then some (read alot) of them...

lol after typing that I picked up my water bottle which i could have sworn i put the cap on... nope... spilled it all over myself... heh im feel like a idiot...

Really I ride quite often at a track build just for quads and smoke most of them. Every now and then there is someone who puts me in my place, but they always have at least 200cc's on me (im on a 250f). Also most if not all of the quad ridders on that track that pass me race... I dont (although I may start soon). Just my experience. Also there are always more bikes on the track than quads, even though it is a quad track.

all the kids who ride quads not bikes is because their mommy and daddy wont let them get a bike.

4 wheels are for gettin to the tack....or for ladies at the track either way......bikes take balls to ride

4 wheels are for gettin to the tack....or for ladies at the track either way......bikes take balls to ride

that's weird. my bike seems alot easier to ride than quads. it makes most trails that are hard on a quad seem very easy to me. i would think it would take more balls to ride the more challenging vehicle.

all the kids who ride quads not bikes is because their mommy and daddy wont let them get a bike.

It seems like it too, this 9 year old boy that I know across the road wants a dirtbike, his mom wont ever consider a dirtbike but maybe a 4 wheeler or a gokart.