Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 DualSport tires

I just bought a lighting kit and am in the middle of installing it. I was wondering what would be a good tire to run on the road instead of the knobbies. Should I get a set of enduro (on/off road) tires or look into street tires (supermotard)? Could I get recommendations for either way? Also, what would they cost, where could I get them at a good price, and what is typical installation cost? Or is installation something that I could do with the right tools? Please let me know. Thanks!

That is so intelligent. Thank you so much! I had no idea that I could do that!

Now, is there anyone else who could actually answer my posted question without stating the obvious? I really would appreciate it.

In the 90/10 street/offroad category, I've run Tourances and Anakees on my 1150GS. I haven't checked to see if anything similar is made in the sizes required for a 230, as mine isn't street legal.

If I'm leaning the 1150 primarily towards dirt, I run TKC80's, which are pretty good dirt tires and actually have some amazing stiction on the street.

Not to re-state the obvious, but do some sniffing around online. I highly recommend Southwest Moto for good prices and fast shipping (free on a $200+ order, I believe). Just don't ask them to make recommendations for you.

http://www.swmototires.com

I just picked up my CRF230 yesterday. I also am planning on making mine street legal, so I had the shop put on Michelin AC-10's. They were about $150 for the pair plus mounting. It's a 90 off/10 on design. It's still very dirt oriented with an aggressive tread. I took a few spins around on a wet lawn and never came close to slipping. It took a little research to find a good dirt oriented DOT tire in the right size. Good luck

I have what might be an excellent tire choice. look into maybe maxxis 6006 and also. kenda k270. i think either might be an excellent choice.

For a D/S bike that needs a decent knobby for off road that won't wear out too fast on the street it's hard to beat Dunlop D606's. My KTM 625 came with Pirelli MT21's which are also pretty aggressive DOT knobbies.

the kenda 760 trakmaster would also be a good choice. I think the dunlop 606 would be to big for the crf230. it is a big heavy tire.

I just bought a lighting kit and am in the middle of installing it. I was wondering what would be a good tire to run on the road instead of the knobbies. Should I get a set of enduro (on/off road) tires or look into street tires (supermotard)? Could I get recommendations for either way? Also, what would they cost, where could I get them at a good price, and what is typical installation cost? Or is installation something that I could do with the right tools? Please let me know. Thanks!

If you are doing mostly dirt with a little pavement, Perelli MT 44 front and a kenda trackmaster rear. Both DOT knobs that work pretty well. If you are going to just ride pavement then go with a pavement dual sport tire. Continental made a good front that the dirt trackers use and it fits a 21" front. I road raced one and they are pretty good.

John

whats a good 50 on/50 off tire for the 230? i am also looking for tires and im just too lazy to do the obvious!

A lot of these DOT knobs are made for big heavy bikes. The Dunlop 606 and the Mt-21 are fairly heavy tires made for dirt use

Consider the Maxxis 6006 or the newer Maxxis m7000..they are cheaper and lighter.

I just put a new m700 on my Dr350 that I'll ride this weekend on a DS ride.

I'll let you know what they're like.

I just picked up my CRF230 yesterday. I also am planning on making mine street legal, so I had the shop put on Michelin AC-10's. They were about $150 for the pair plus mounting. It's a 90 off/10 on design. It's still very dirt oriented with an aggressive tread. I took a few spins around on a wet lawn and never came close to slipping. It took a little research to find a good dirt oriented DOT tire in the right size. Good luck

I didn't think it possible to make the 230 legal in MA. I would like to do so also. DO you know exactly what is needed to pasify the RMV. :D:D

Whats a good cheap tire? Here in oregon since i am under 21 i have to take a three day riding course to get my liscense... And it says in the brochure i can ride my own bike if it is street legal. However, my paycheck was pretty small this month and the only thing i lack is dual-sport tires... Whats something not too expensive and more dirt oriented?