Sign in to follow this  

rmz 250 hot problems solved

team suzuki made a restictor that gose in the water pump to slow the coolant in the radiators, a friend gave me one and it made a world of difference. i race hare scrambles in n.c. i can idle about 15 min before it will run hot. i can't find the restrictor anywhere, maybe i'll get more info

You definately have our interest! Where does the resrticor go? What does it look like?

That makes sense if the water is passing thru the system too quickly it doesn't have enough time to transfer the heat out.

I am with you, I do not think anything has been done without some aftermarket mods! Until the manufactures puts Boyseen or ProCircuit pump/impellors and Fluidyne type rads all these bikes will have heat problems. I know they put bigger rads on the 05's, but many are still overheating due to rider error.

PS Two2Cool it works!

Thank YOU Thank YOU Thank YOU

HMMMM, team suzuki??

Where did they hear about that?? That mod is off the chain.

I posted A hint to this atleast once and have talked about it to Thumpertalk members more than once on the phone. Matter of fact I shared this with NCmountainman months back.

I did this mod in late 03. The difference is I dont use a restrictor in the line. That would be too easy. Heck even the factory guys could do that.

I machine down the water pump impellor and totally deburr it. Then deburr every hose inlet/outlet on the rads and motor.

Using a restrictor is a catylst for turbelance. Its like putting your finger a water hose. Cutting down the impellor slows the coolant down smoothly and creates less turbelance/air entrainment.

I also posted in this forum that I could tell you guys alot more about the cooling on RMZ's months back. But to do so would directly conflict with other manufacturers claims.

What do you think Boyseens reply to this mod will be??

the restrictor is about 10 mm in line at the inlet to the water pump it made a big change in how the bike ran and cooled. jim chester, a areanacross champ that races for suzuki gave it to me and damn dose it work

It all really makes pretty good sense. I remember as a teen when we ALL had small block Chevys. Some guys would try to keep their cars cooler by removing the thermostat only to find that they actually ran hotter. If the coolant doesn't stay in the radiator long enough, it won't have time to transfer the heat.

the restrictor gose in the inlet pipe to the water pump it is machined so it will only go in so far, the hose fits over the other end tight then put the clamp on. takes about 10 min to instal.

yes i can because i have to service the bike tommorow

Thank YOU Thank YOU Thank YOU

I machine down the water pump impellor and totally deburr it. Then deburr every hose inlet/outlet on the rads and motor.

How much did you reduce the impeller by ? Was the reduction just in the diammeter or height or both?

When you cleaned up the rest of the system I take it you left the reducer that other dremmel out of the waterpump housing ?

You seem to be doing the opposite of what others are doing. I know you have the equipment to measure that the mod is actually working.

The biggest question is what is the inner diameter of the hole in the restrictor. I work for an engineering firm and we do tons of pipeline work and if the hole is too big or too small it could have catastrophic results. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

So what is the mod? cutting down the impeller to slow flow?

Is it possible to make an in-line restrictor? Sounds like a great mod...

yes i can because i have to service the bike tommorow

Got any pictures yet???? :applause:

If you can market this i would be in debt to you for eternity. GET SOME PICS tho.

How much did you reduce the impeller by ? Was the reduction just in the diammeter or height or both?

When you cleaned up the rest of the system I take it you left the reducer that other dremmel out of the waterpump housing ?

You seem to be doing the opposite of what others are doing. I know you have the equipment to measure that the mod is actually working.

I made 4 or 5 different impellors, A reduction in height is really all thats needed. Since the further you get the blades away from the cover the less you are pumpimg. Just think about an automotive oil pump when the wear plate gets scored or worn.

I have done both cut down the height and the diameter. I may have the numbers at the shop. If I remember right he last one I done I just cut down the height about .100.

I do remove some of the reducer. More for shaping it correctly.

You say I seem to be doing opposite than others. Yes you are correct. opposite from most everybody than factory Suzuki.

On the other hand I never really just used a reducer. There are some that believes turbelance in a cooling system help srcub off pinpoint boiling and cavatation.They claim this helps cooling also. I havent done much testing with a reducer alone.

If anyone thinks they wanna try a reducer I will make up some. All I need is what diamater the hole needs to be. I can guess just like they did and make up a few but if someone has a good working part and knows the diameter heck lets build a few of them. Then maybe a few smaller and a few larger.

The funny thing is for different styles/types of riding one may need a different reducer. A desert racer would probally need a different size reducer than a slow woods rider.

I am soooooo busy but if a few of you wanna play with this some then get with me I will make up a few.

Norman