Sign in to follow this  

'06 Reliability

Due to the contingency money that Kawasaki gives, I'm looking at going green when the '06 bikes come out (I'll still keep my '04 YZ250F). The thing I'm concerned about though is the reliability of the '06 KX250F's. Magazines obviously won't know this because they'll only ride them for a couple of days. Is there any way we'll be able to tell, besides either getting one, or waiting for others to get them and tell about their problems? By the way, what does everybody think about the '06 bikes?

why wouldnt it be reliable? my 05 is very relable as most of the other people's 05's also. Mine has been perfect no valve issues and no problems whatsoever..i would think the 06's would be even better since they have had experience with the 04's and the 05's and know exactly what to look for with problems

the only major thing they changed was the frame, and since that style aluminum frame has been on the honda for quite some years they obviously know what was needed to be done to make it work awsome

I haven't heard much about the '05's, but I heard of the '04's having a lot of problems. So that's what concerned me, Kawasaki still being kind've new to the racing 4 stroke thing. How have the '05's held up for the most part?

I'm not concerned so much with how fast it is, as I am with reliability.

i race a rmz 250 with my friend and he has a yzf 250 and it realy hold's up no changes right

Smart money says go with the now 3rd generation KXF (2006).Besides the frame going aluminum, suspension has been changed for the better,Showa THANK GOD.I just sold my 2004 which I never ever had a problem with.Probably because I changed the oil often,used a scotts stainless oil filter,Twin Air/PC system and instead of the much over hyped Engine ice I used Zip-Ty Coolent.Which for some reason is the best kept secret in pro motocross.It's very close to what the Nascar guys use.Also two 2 cool oil additive is a help. Keeping this bike cool is the best thing for it.But so you know I did hate the Kayaba Suspension on my 04 (as did pretty much everyone) even after spending a lot of money to have Pro Circuit do their thing.The 06 won't need much in the way of after market.With Pro Circuits help Kawasaki has a winning and much more reliable bike than what it was in 2004 and 2005.It's definetly a red,yellow,blue & orange beater,hands down.I watched Ivan "poison Ivy" Tedesco kick everyones ass today in colorado.

here's what i found about the new bike.

Other engine modifications include stiffer valve springs to help ensure reliable valve control at high rpm; a surface-hardened crankshaft for additional rigidity; more efficient oil pumps that increase oil flow by nearly 20 percent. high-capacity Denso radiators that deliver superior cooling performance due to their more tightly packed cores and new fin design. The clutch and five-speed transmission have also been modified to include new friction plate material and stiffer clutch springs for improved clutch feel, and the gears have beefier dogs to match the more-powerful engine. Kawasaki engineers have also given the KX250F shift drum a new cam to improve shifting feel. To compensate for the increased output, the piston now has a thicker crown.

found this at http://endurouk.com/content/view/297/2/

all these changes point at much more reliable bike for 2006. all except for the higher 13.5:1 compression ratio piston. but, at least it has a thicker crown, and shouldn't break like it did on the 2004's

think I need to sell my sx and get one of those new kawi thumpers. i wanted to get a 250sxf, but the motor isn't going to be that much better than the updated japanese bikes and the suspension-handling, for sure won't be as good.

:applause: 1. The '06 motor is a Revised version of the existing motor with the biggest emphasis on "Longevity".

2. Which vendor (i.e. "Brand") of suspension is used DOESN'T matter...the "Settings" that're used is all that matters. Noone's ever had a really good set of KYBs? You need to ride my 500...

3. Even Bigger Radiators!

4. Absolutlely the best plastic pieces in the industry (2 piece/per side Shrouds)

5. Tapered header from the factory...a "Drawn" taper, at that! Most folks won't need a 'Complete System'...get your favorite slip-on!

6. Did you notice the "Wave Rotors"?

7. Renthals?

8. Hand Ported...from the factory...any other brand doin' that?

9. AOF levers/perches.

10. A contingency program that pays CASH via a Master Card that you can spend ANYWHERE!

I'll be racin' a well prepped STOCK bike in the Golden State series...I said STOCK! The bars are perfect for those of us ol' School Jeff Wardy type guys!

Now...do I get the 450, too? Or do I listen to Dr D and get that Yellow YZ450? Hmmmmmmmmm :eek:

A contingency program that pays CASH via a Master Card that you can spend ANYWHERE!

That's the big thing.

Before, I was thinking about getting one of those Hurricane replica 250F's. One of my friends is getting one though, so the unique factor would deffinitely be diminished.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Disclaimer:

Those Yellow Yami's ARE DAM COOL!

Just add Gold wheels and Lightnin' Bolts and you are there!

(Also requires Yellow Helmet with Hurricane Graphics...)

:applause: 1. The '06 motor is a Revised version of the existing motor with the biggest emphasis on "Longevity".

2. Which vendor (i.e. "Brand") of suspension is used DOESN'T matter...the "Settings" that're used is all that matters. Noone's ever had a really good set of KYBs? You need to ride my 500...

3. Even Bigger Radiators!

4. Absolutlely the best plastic pieces in the industry (2 piece/per side Shrouds)

5. Tapered header from the factory...a "Drawn" taper, at that! Most folks won't need a 'Complete System'...get your favorite slip-on!

6. Did you notice the "Wave Rotors"?

7. Renthals?

8. Hand Ported...from the factory...any other brand doin' that?

9. AOF levers/perches.

10. A contingency program that pays CASH via a Master Card that you can spend ANYWHERE!

I'll be racin' a well prepped STOCK bike in the Golden State series...I said STOCK! The bars are perfect for those of us ol' School Jeff Wardy type guys!

Now...do I get the 450, too? Or do I listen to Dr D and get that Yellow YZ450? Hmmmmmmmmm :eek:

Where did you see that it will be hand ported? If that's true, this is going to be one bad 250F! The best of both worlds-honda derived chassis and suspension with a more powerful twin cam engine.

Where did you see that it will be hand ported? If that's true, this is going to be one bad 250F! The best of both worlds-honda derived chassis and suspension with a more powerful twin cam engine.

Why does everyone imply "Honda-isms" on the Al. Frame deal?

First Perimeter frame? Kawasaki.

First Al. Frame? Yamaha.

First "Honda-Style" frame? Cannondale. Actually, I remember someone over in Europe did it 1st...

StevenJ i have the same problem as you right now i have a 2004 yz250f, and want to switch to the 2006 kx250f, but i am very concerned with the reliability also, the valves and such.

KTM's are the most reliable bikes out there, plus look at what happens in pro mx. No broken KTM 250f's all sx and mx seasons so far. Compared to the CRF which sees Ryan Hughes sidelined every other race with a blown motor. Ktm's come with billet clutch assemblies and forged pistons. Nobody else does that! All that being said the new kxf should be much more reliable, Denso radiators, 20% more efficient oil pumps, stiffer valve springs, and new shift mechanism.

KTM's are the most reliable bikes out there, plus look at what happens in pro mx. No broken KTM 250f's all sx and mx seasons so far.

I don't really know about reliablility, but I saw Nathan Ramsey in the middle of the track, kicking his bike to no avail, a lot during the supercross season.

Plus the KTM 250F is $1000 more than the Kawasaki, and there isn't a dealer near me.

KTMs are the most dependable....really?

Been to an AMA Hare-Scramble? At the Shasta Dam Gp there were no less than -3- KTM Tranny failures.

As for the Forgetfulness of this last season...everything from Broken Gas caps to Motors that stall and won't restart...

The 1st year of the KX-F was rough; however, it's won a whole lot more races...as in titles at the national, ametuer and regional levels than the KTM can even dream of.

Oh, and where's that KTM Support Van at the MX races?

Or the KTM Contingency program that pays you to win?

Or how about a pair of bars that you'd keep? (The Kawi's are using a popular bend from the KX aftermarket...at least the test rigs were...)

Yes, the new KTM is fast...but...anyone wanna bet it gets its azz handed to itself in the shoot-outs against other '06s?

I'd rather have a broken gas cap, and a bike that stalls over a bike that needs a new set of valves every other month. If you are in team green like your name implies you get free stuff. You don't have to pick up the bill when your bike chews up another set of those awesome kawasaki vales. And as for transmission problems on ktm's rekluse and other automatic clutch setups have been known to put more strain on the tranny. Plus, if you think bikes are that dif. from each other, I hate to break it to you, but they're not. And just for the record Nate Ramsey got his bike started in pheonix after a crash, after a long time, but it did re-fire.

The point is that all the brands have weak links.

Oh, who's replacing valves every month? Adjusted valves DO last longer...go figure.

Another point is: Have you ridden the KTM, even the new one, and the KX-F.

When it comes to handling, Green wins HANDS DOWN.

I haven't benefited from Team Green free stuff for over 5 years...yet...I still BUY THEM and enjoy the fact that thet're at the events I go to with their SUPPORT VANS (Who else has that?)

I couldn't pick up a dif between my friend's yz250f and my other friends kx250f as far as handling. The kxf had more bottom, but less top end than the yamaha. Those are the only things I noticed. And team green's support may be great, but for me, all the contingency programs suck cause nobody goes to nor-cal tracks.