Sign in to follow this  

All around-not MX-tires

Going to replace tires on my WR next month or so and am leaning towards the Dunlop 606 dual sport tires rated 20% on road 80% off road--anyone use these and what do you think? How are they in sand and forest loam compared to stock 739?

I can't remember what the guy on the 520 KTM has on his bike up North last week, but they were Michilin tires and he was not to happy with them, especially the front which supposed to be a soft terrain tire.

Maybe I should just go with 756 Dunlops and simply stay off road as much as possible and replace as needed?

What would the best tire be for Michigan trail riding--lots of forest loam, some mud, lots of sandy whoops, some hard pack and a bit of road riding?

I hate changing tires!

I have a 606 on the rear of my XR. They're ok, but not as good as they look. I think that both the sidewalls and the rubber are hard. I think a 606 would definitely be undesirable on the front. The WR is such an excellent bike that putting 606's on it would be like hobbling it.

756's sound like the best. Everyone likes them. For all the money we put in to having great bikes, it's not smart to diminish them by compromising on tires.

I'll look into the Pirelli's. They do have a good soft compound, and I appreciate that they get their tires DOT approved (all their fronts, I'm not sure about the rears).

P.S. Torture: The MT16 front I found was only available in 80/100 X 21. Is that what you have? It seems a little skinny.

My two bits,

Toby

[ August 29, 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Toby S ]

Here is a review of the 606.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=001953

Do you need a DOT approved tire? How much street do you ride?

I had Pirelli MT21s on my XR400. I liked them better than the stock Dunlop 490/695 combo.

I'm now running the Dunlop 490 front with a Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear. The Kenda is DOT approved. My next tire set will most likely be a Pirelli MT16 front and Kenda rear. The Kendas are cheap and durable. Something needed for a big 4-stroke.

Many rave about the Dunlop 756 soft terrain tire.

I had the Pirelli MT21 tires on an XR600 (street legal) and was quite impressed with them. The seemed to last very well and got decent traction. It depends on what is more important to you, traction or durability. On my current mount (YZ426) I prefer the Michelin S12 on the rear and the M12 front. I also tried the 756 which was good, but I like the Michelin a bit better.

i ride michigan all the time 756`s the best set up for varying terrain,i get two season`s out of the 12 pounds of air bike just rips up evart loop

if you want a street legal, awesome traction and durable Tyre, then try michelin enduro competition IV on the front and michelin enduro competition III on the rear

They are very good in all the conditions you've mentioned + they are durable (imho)

Rudy,

The 606 rear is not bad in soft terrain considering it is street legal and it wears like iron. The front 606, on the other hand, tends to wander around like a lost child in the sand. If you ride in the sand a lot, I would just surrender to the fact that you are going to have to run a soft terrain tire (Dunlop 755, 756, 773) and change it more often. The front lasts twice as long as the rear anyway.

I had the MT21s on my DRZ400. They work really well when they're sharp. The rear eventually gets worn, but the front holds up really well. Hell, I even got a 3rd at a cross-country race with 'em against a field of 426s. I think that says something!

If I HAD to have DOT approved, that's what I'd recommend, but I've heard good things about some of the Dunlops as well.

Just sharing....

Thanks to all who replied! What a lot of great tire recommendations. I don't care about DOT rated tires--most cops never heard of it anyway. I am simply looking for good traction and good wear. I know--kinda like looking for a woman that says what she means and never complains! (Am I on a lost-cause mission here?)

I live in a area with a lot of grape vineyards that I can ride in = sand. Also, we have a lot of low land that I like to check on deer hunting spots = forest loam and mud. I also need to ride some pavement and gravel roads and I can even ride my bike to work and park it IN my office! Fortuneately, unless a cop I don't know is pissed at me and is around--I can generally whip off the road, ride in a vinyard, jump driveways and ditches, and get back on the road. This is a blast in the Spring right after the snow melts and the grass is still all down--you can see holes and logs and read terrain very easily. The roads just become connectors to the trails and small riding areas. I also like to ride road about 8 miles over to a private pro level MX track and watch some of the guys hang it out. Sometimes I get lucky and get to watch guys like Nick Wey and Josh Woods mix it up with some local boys who can hang with them! For me--I have given it up--no way I am even rolling the 90 foot doubles on this track--but I need good traction to run around it to get to neat spots to watch. This track is rock hard when dry, soft when groomed, and gets really muddy when it rains too--and has lots of clay and gravel.

Looks like I get a soft terrain front and whatever is on sale for the rear and change them often. It doesn't look good to get a DOT tire--I don't think they will work well in soft terrain (sand/mud/snow). Likely a 756 up front, and whatever is cheap in the back. I hate changing tires! Thanks all!