13T Countershaft Sprocket

I added a 13T countershaft sprocket this weekend, primarily because the shop I use ordered me the wrong year (pre-2002) countershaft sprocket and all they had in stock for my 2004 was a 13T. I wanted to go riding this weekend, so I took it thinking I can always go between the 14T and 13T depending on what I'm doing. Only 3 clicks between the snail adjusters and easy to swap. :applause:

Well, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I was afraid I'd loose too much top end because I hit 6th frequently. I ride with a YZ250F and two CRF250's. Even with the 13T, I was able to pull away on the straights. :eek:

The better part, however, is where it put me in the band. I think Bill was saying how it put the gears in the correct torque range. Absolutely!!! The bike seems to have more response, because at the speeds I run, the engine is running at a higher RPM and responds quicker with more torque. First gear is not real useful except for the tightest stuff... I start out in second in the sand.

2004 KLX 300R, Free Mods, Dynotjet, FSW Header, Big Gun Race Series Exhaust,RaceTech .44 Springs,Shift Star Mod, MooseRacing Handguards, Works Connection frame guards, Works Connection radiator braces,White Bros filter, Pro Taper Bars, Ceet Gripper cover, SealSavers, Dunlop 773 Rear, TrailTech computer, IMS Pro Series Footpegs, 13T Countershaft Sprocket.

G'day FLboy,

I'm a fan of the 13 /50 sprocket combo :applause: My area can be pretty rough and I like going off-track, so I love the 1st gear for all that slow speed stuff. I also use 1st gear on some of the bad hill climbs, and this sprocket combo allows a great ability to fly up through the gears on any hill (if there weren't so many damn rocks!).

I do hit my top speed (100km/h) occasionally, but for me, the above mentioned advantages greatly outweigh that one drawback.

FLboy - Right ON!!!!! :applause: The 13/50 combo rocks. Hard to explain the subtlety of the torque/gearing change, but I think you nailed it. I love it more than ever now. I just spent the weekend on some BIG A$$ gnarly decomposed granite hillclimb singletrack where there were often no good lines and no opportunity to bug out. The 13/50 combo with trials tire did not let us down. My only regret? Not having a 7th gear for dual sporting on the highway. Other than that, I'll be sticking with the 13T unless I'm in for very high speed desert rides.

I recently swapped my 50t rr for a 49t and it made a subtle but positive change - first gear is more useful and the engine braking isn't so severe as with the 13/50. Also the gear spacing between shifts is a little wider too so I don't need to shift so often. My bike is modded almost the same as FLboy's is. I actually did this because first gear was so winding-out-punchy-jerky that I had a hell of a time using it on tough technical trails smoothly.

B.

I keep the chain on and lock the sprocket up with a crow bar. The I use a long 1/2 in drive handle on the socket for leverage. Pull up hard. I used the impact wrench too, it may have helped, but did not break it free. When I put the new one on, there is no need for it to be that tight. The locking device holds it on well.

I did what FLboy said.

Impact wrench had no effect on it.

I slide a crowbar thru the rear sprocket ,over the swingarm to lock it.(holding the rear brake doesn't work) Then I put a 2 foot cheater bar on the socket wrench and gave it a good push. Just make sure you flatten out the washer behind the nut and turn the nut counter-clockwise and you should be good to go.

Yes, you read that right. I switched from 13/50 to 13/49 and I like it a lot better. Less extreme engine braking locking the rr wheel on steep downhills and 1st is just a little bit taller so as not to be jerky and jumpy. It still climbs just as good if not better because I can lug 1st a little more now in tight technical stuff without having the throttle response snapping at me. It allows much better throttle control in the technical stuff. The change made 1st usefull again while still retaining that great powerband that the 13t gives on the klx. Just my opinion though, it might be different for other people.

Also, removing the old sprocket: I impacted mine off. Went to kragen auto, got a electric impact, used it to take off the nut, then returned the impact gun for a refund! When you put it back on you don't need to torque it down to more than 25 ft-lbs because it uses a lock washer, then when you take it off again, it'll be easier.

B.

bryan, just curious. How much more top end do you think the 49 gave you. For instance, if you were winding out in 6th and pulling, say 55 mph, how much faster do you think you'd be doing at the same rpm with the 49?

I love the 13T, but could sure use a little more top end. I use 1st constantly for the highly technical stuff we ride. There are often times that 2nd with the 13/50 combo is just too high. I don't think I can go back to a 14T. Thx.

bp

I had the GPS on Brent's 300 last week. It has 13/50 gears. If my memory hasn't totally failed it hit the rev limiter at about 65 mph in 5th gear. It was a windy day and jetting is fat, so I didn't try to top it out in 6th. It would cruise comfortably at 65 to 70.

bryan, just curious. How much more top end do you think the 49 gave you. For instance, if you were winding out in 6th and pulling, say 55 mph, how much faster do you think you'd be doing at the same rpm with the 49?

I love the 13T, but could sure use a little more top end. I use 1st constantly for the highly technical stuff we ride. There are often times that 2nd with the 13/50 combo is just too high. I don't think I can go back to a 14T. Thx.

bp

Going from a 13/50 to a 13/49 is only going to give a little over a 1 mph increase at 55 mph at the same rpm.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll stay at 13/50 then. I'm perfectly happy with everything except the top speed. 65 with 13/50 gearing is seriously screaming. No way will I keep the bike that wide open for any length of time with all the valve problems I've had. Maybe they'll make a 7 speed for '07. :D:D LOL

Hey Bill, the guys are right, I didn't notice any real change in top end, I just did it to fine tune the usefulness of 1st gear. It does give you a bit more of first gear without having to max out and change to second then bog like you mentioned. That's exactly why I tried it and it worked for me. It really is just for steep loose uphills so you can lug without losing traction and carry a little more speed in first to make those tough sections where you need to carry a bit of momentum all the way through, but can't upshift. You know what I mean. It doesn't seem to lessen the bike's ability to tractor along at all.

B.

Bryan, that's cool, but the reason I'll stay with the 13/50 combo is because a lot of the trails I ride have sections that I take at about 2k rpm in first gear. They are tight and any faster than first is right now would necessitate slipping the clutch to cleanly get through. As far as making it up loose uphills, the trials tire has solved that problem for me. :D