2001 xr650r blowing oil out of air filter

This used to happen to my friends 650, turns out he was checking the oil wrong. 1st start it and warm it up, then kill it and keep it level, remove the dipstick, wipe, and reinstall but don't screw it down. Remove and check. I have over filled mine before when not following this procedure. Hope this is all the problem is.

It is only normal if you are over filling the oil. You must run the bike for quite a while before you check the oil. If it is over full it will be blowing out the dip stick with the engine idling. To make sure you have it right, drian your oil and put in 1650cc of oil (not changing the oil filter) clean out you air filter box and see if it's all better. If you drain the oil and have more then 1700cc's of oil you found your problem. That is the way to find out for sure if it is over full.

sound like its been over filed to me. make sure you WARM the bike up. 30 seconds does nothing try 5 minutes, seriously.

i start mine get on my gear, every pad manufactured, and then check the oil, which of course i checked befor putting it in the truck...

and changed 3 days ago.

does that make me a little anal???

It HAPPENED TO ME AS WELL ON MY '00 XR650R. I FOUND OUT THAT THE AIR FILTER WAS OVER OILED. REMOVE THE FILTER AND CLEAN IT THEN OIL IT BUT THIS TIME SPARINGLY. USE AIR FILTER OIL, NOTHING ELSE. THERE'S MY 2 CENTS....

It will continue to blow oil even when I can't find any oil on the dipstick. I have to check it after every ride. There is always a puddle under this bike.

How many hours/miles on the engine? Sounds like excessive blow-by that could be caused by worn rings or a worn out piston. Is the crankcase breather tube connected to the air box? :applause:

Clean the air filter, don't reoil it, ride it hard on the street awhile see if the same thing happens. Or disconnect the crankcase breather tube and see if it blows oil out when running hard, on the street if possible. Allso if it is jetted lean and running hot, not good.

These bikes are tricky to check the oil level. You pretty much have to ride it for a little while then check the oil. If you just let it idle a couple of minutes then check it you can overfill. If I were you I would change the oil and oil filter. Put in the recommended amount in the book. At least you will know it has the correct amount. Then ride it and see if it still does it. It sounds like it is over filled.

• 1 month later...