xr200 tranny problem

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site and have an ongoing problem with my 82' xr200r.. While riding easy on flat ground the bike will shift and downshift normally,, but when I am riding hard especially in a tough uphill situation and I try to downshift into 2nd gear the shift lever feels as though it is bottomed out already and the bike stays in 3rd.. In order to rectify the problem I have to upshift into 4th and try again to downshift into 2nd, which by this time I am usually stalled out and just stopped on the hill..Once in a while if I concentrate on downshifting into 2nd and just barely touch the shift lever it will go into 2nd ok. But that is not a reliable answer to the problem..I did have the entire motor rebuilt by the local honda shop and told them of the problem, they said they found no problem in the tranny, put it back together and the problem is still the same.

thanks for the help ahead of time---its a great bike--must fix

On older XR200's, this seems to happen a lot. At least the ones I've dealt with. You need to get new shift forks and a shift shaft. If possible, swap everything out yourself, as opposed to the dealer. You'll save a ton of money. Otherwise, it will probably cost you more than the bike is worth.

Hey guys

The shift forks probably could be the problem, also Powroll said to change the clutch out as a worn clutch will put pressure on the 2nd gear which is a slide gear there by causing it to stick.. Powroll seemed very knowledgeable.. was just hoping others had the same problem and I would get a definite answer on the problem..Dude--am looking for a new bike for myself, really looked hard at the crf450r,, I am not used to these big tall bikes yet, grew up on maicos and bultacos of yesteryear..If I can get this bike fixed It will be perfect for the wife...Thanks for the welcome to the site.

see ya

Montana Dog

You could try that, the plates are cheap enough. If it works fine you're done. But look at you clutch basket as well. More than likely it will have a canyon deep grooves in it, this is also a culprit. Again, from the dealer this retails for $185! I would suggest a late model one off ebay. In fact, I would get a complete late model motor off ebay. Just get a cdi an coil and your bike will run for another 15 years. You can probably get a mid '90s motor for about $350 or less.

Also, the jump from a XR200 to CRF450 is HUGE!, I would think about a crf250X. They ride like a super built 200, but it keeps pulling and pulling. Plus, it has an electric start. When I got off my CR/XR200 conversion to ride my friends crf250, I felt right at home, but when I would ride a 450, I felt like a squid that spent more time braking, then on the gas. . . Just a suggestion.

This is kinda of a long shot, but it gets overlooked alot.

There is a little pin cast into the clutch side cover to "hold in" the shift shaft. This sometimes wears out or gets broken off. Check to make sure it is there.

BEFORE you remove you side cover, grab the shifter and check if it has any "in-and-out" play. It should only move about 1/32 or so....

HTH

:D

This basic tranny has been around since 1970 in the SL100.

Most common problem is when the shift lever moves and nothing happens (kind of catches then slips, may stick). With several tries it may go. Cure is to replace the shift star and shift plate (do not try to weld, grind etc). Always do both even if they look perfect! Cause, is impact to shift lever (crash). This is where 90% of shifting problems are on XR200's!

Note: Always use a drop of blue Loctite on the shift star bolt, clean with contact cleaner and dry first!

Bent shift spindle (shaft), will cause spindle to bind in case and not move freely. Causes lever to not return properly, won't catch for next gear etc. Cure, replace spindle. Cause, again impact to shift lever (crash).

Grooves in clutch basket, won't be able to fully disengage clutch. Hard to shift under load. Cure, replace clutch basket. Cause........too many miles!

A shift drum with a rough spot in the grooves that controll the shift forks. Also make sure the pins on the shift fork are smooth. This will cause sticky shifting, not wanting to go into or out of a gear etc.. Cause, wear, problem with parts when new. Cure, relace drum and fork, or polish parts till they work smooth. This is a very very rare problem but I have run into it several time over the years.

There are a few others, problem with the shift drum detent, spindle return spring, and the old.....somebody had it apart and put it back together wrong!

Old School Al

No dudes here..........a dude is a over dressed cowboy!!!

Pretty much what everyone agrees upon is that more than likely it's worn past it's prime. It's 24 years old for crying out loud. You can change this or that, but forks, shift drums, clutch baskets, all wear out over a quarter century. I would either get a newer year motor/bottom end or sell it and get a newer bike. The $400 - $600 it's may not justify dumping a loads of time and money into it. I got a 1995 bottom end for $100, but I can also do all the work myself which saves money, but still cost cost me a boat load of time, effort and aggrevation. I think the thing is here, is it worth keeping or get a new or newer bike. After years of working with piles, I say sell it get a newer bike and never look back. :D

I always say buy as new and as low mileage XR200R as you can afford and find! Worn out is work and $$$.

The first two problems I describe can be found on bikes with hardly any time on them! I did the plate and star repair on a 02 when it was less than a year old.

With ebay or elsewhere be careful you don't just buy a later model pile, Some people can turn one into a pile in matter of days!!!

The first thing that needs to be done is figure out EXACTLY what the problem really is!!! Alway best to try and figure out what is causing the problem first, not just start changing parts till the problem goes away. If it's right side cover with used parts it would not be out of reason with fair mechanical skills. Center case and I'd pass unless you have really good mechanical skills and used parts.

Old School Al

You know,one other thing just in case! You say when you're going up hill??? Are you taking you're toe clear off the shifter after each shift! If the shift lever doesn't return to the neutral postion after each shift, the shift plate can't catch the next pin on the shift star and guess what! Going up hill (toe would tend to be at a lower angle), or a lever bent up higher would make this more apt to happen. Pay close attention when you shift and see what happens!

We went through a problem like this on the Old School Race Team XR200R last fall. Old school Jeff was having problems on the vintage mx starts going from third to forth. He was sitting way back at this point in the drag race to the first corner, and was not letting the shifter return to the neutral postion. He'd go to shift and no forth.....still in third! We bent the shifter to raise it, he made a conscious effort to release the lever and no more problems!!!

Old School Al

(Old School Motto: Assume nothing.......suspect everything!)

Old School Al

Thanks guys,, here is a little more info on this tranny---Start it up and go ride around mellow for 15 minutes on flat ground it shifts normal..Start getting on it on the trails and then the problem starts...No I do not ride with my boot against the shift lever,, but I think youare correct in saying the shift lever or"drum" is not returning to its correct position after it is ridden hard in 3rd gear,, most of the time while trying to downshift to 2nd the lever feels like it is already at the full bottom of the shift stroke with no where else to go...OK everyone here it is.. I grew up riding maicos and flat tracking bultacos in the late 70s-early 80s--Took about 15 years off from dirt riding, went out and bought a 96 xr600, fun bike but way to heavy,,sold it and bought a 98 xr250,,way to slow for me,,since then I havent had a bike other than this xr200r I got from my dad when he quit riding..Just a great bike,,of course me wieghing 215 buck naked is a little bit much for the little old xr it is a gas to ride..Ok last week I test rode a cr500--wow a little to much--this week a cr250r and a ktm300..didnt really like any of them , the problem is I am not use to these new bikes being so tall..I really like the feel of the crf450r but as of yet have not found anyone to let me try one--alright lets hear the remarks about this, and any more help with the xr200r.

thanks

montana dog

On your XR200, you need to determine for sure that the lever is sticking down (nothing to do with the drum) or comes back to the normal position. I have a hunch it comes back to the normal position, but when you push it down it doesn't catch. You're just pushing against the return spring till you hit the end of the travel. You'll have to play with it and see what's going on.

Old School Al

Gonna have to look at the shift star and plate on the 200 I just picked up, a 93 with shift problems. thanks OldSchoolAl!!!

Robert

Robert,

You'll need one special socket for the nut on the crank and the clutch. Available at any cycle shop etc..

Good Luck!

Old School Al

My special socket is a 7/8ths in socket, modified on the grinding wheel, works great!

I'm betting the pin is missing, and the star is misaligned on my 200.

Robert

Modified socket will do the trick.................glad to hear you're not one of the hammer and chisel gang! :D

The pin missing would create a problem!!!

Let us know what you find! Good Luck!

Old School Al

Old school and the rest--thanks for the tips, I am going to dig into it next week hopefully if I have time.. Will probably be a long drawn out process due to my limited work season up here in montana..That xr 200r is just to great a bike to throw away..

thanks

mtdog

I have a similar problem with an 02 XR200. It has problems during hard riding going from 2nd to 1st. Would this be the same solution 90% Star and plate? Are they hard to replace? Where on the engine are they at and are those the terms used in the manual. Never tore into one but have mechanical ability. Thanks.

I have a similar problem with an 02 XR200. It has problems during hard riding going from 2nd to 1st. Would this be the same solution 90% Star and plate? Are they hard to replace? Where on the engine are they at and are those the terms used in the manual. Never tore into one but have mechanical ability. Thanks.

Can you give a detailed description of what it does? Slip, stick and won't go, any other gears, shifting up or down, etc.. See what you can come up with, more info the better.

It's not hard for some............for others it's a ordeal!

Before you do anything get a Honda shop manual, money well spent. :D It's under the right engine cover and you will need to pick up a special wrench to remove the crank and clutch nut.

Shift plate part #24621-446-650

Shift cam (stopper plate) (star) #24411-446-650

Let us know what you come up with for details on problem shifting.

Old School Al