tt600r help needed

can anyone help, i have a 99 ttr600 (supermoto) was riding along the other week and the engine just died on me.

got it home every thing works (lights ect:)

but no spark. checked coil thats ok. changed generator,changed cdi,tried a different regulator/rectifier, but still no spark i just dont know what else could be causing it

cheers meismorph

Have enough gas in it? Have you done anything to it lately? Did you turn the gas petcock to 'reserve' instead of actual 'ON'? Answer those ?'s and if not that, then I may be able to think of something...if not, then somebody else I am sure will :D

full tank of fuel and i havnt done anything recently to the bike other than fitted a new clutch

Alright, how is the plug looking? Did you try to put a new one in and try that? If not, I would and get back. Until then, I will be thinking(really tired now and cant think too well). Hopefully if I dont come up with anything, somebody else can help you! :D

O yeah, I had a KDX80 before and it did a similar thing. I dont think this would be a problem with a 4stroke, but could possibly. The exhaust packing in the silencer was messed up and needed replacement. The baffle was stuffed full, so we cut the silencer in half and replaced everything. It worked great after that. You may not believe that, but yeah it did practically knock the whole bike down to not running at all. :D:D

thanks for that,

plug is a new one there is power getting to the coil but it stops when it gets to it. as if the polarity is the wrong way round, but ive tested coil and its fine ,also tried it on my brothers bike and it works ok (xt600). iam also getting a healthy voltage from the generator coils

gav

Quick question.

If the coil is getting power, is it grounded properly? Power goes in one side and has to go to ground on the other. The polarity should not matter. Or is the coil bad. The secondary winding could be shot and not collecting the collapsing magnetic field.

Also try a new plug wire and cap. Maybe you have too much resistance there.

You said the plug is good. You know you have a good CDI. Now check everything else that goes between the coil and the head. Including making sure the motor is grounded to the frame/battery. The power is stopping somewhere.

I hope this helped.

Quick question.

If the coil is getting power, is it grounded properly? Power goes in one side and has to go to ground on the other. The polarity should not matter. Or is the coil bad. The secondary winding could be shot and not collecting the collapsing magnetic field.

Also try a new plug wire and cap. Maybe you have too much resistance there.

You said the plug is good. You know you have a good CDI. Now check everything else that goes between the coil and the head. Including making sure the motor is grounded to the frame/battery. The power is stopping somewhere.

I hope this helped.

That sounds like some good information.

:D

thanks for that

ive just checked the coil on my brothers xt 600 it works fine, now iam suspecting the cdi. or maybe it could be the pulse coil not telling the cdi when to release the charge. when i check the voltage from the cdi to the coil (the cable between these) i get a reading of -19v. but if you hold this wire you dont get an electric shock from it. i did the same test with my brothers xt. it only read about 4-5 volts but gave out quite a tingle.

so iam thinking the readings iam getting are whats stored in the cdi,s capacitor and for some reason is not being discharged. i dont have a battery so these readings are when i kick the bike over. maybe ive killed the cdi unit , but i dont know how. also ive checked resistance on the old generator and the new one , (and pulse coil) and they are identical.could the rotor have anything to do with the problem.

thanks very much to all replys

meismorph. :D

Could be the rotor.

That is where the whole thing starts. That is where the CDI picks up the pulse for when to fire the spark.

One thing that seems that hasn’t been checked is the wiring harness.

I've seen some really ratty wiring coming out of the stator end of motors.

If one of the wires in there is frayed or broken that will cause this as well. All your individual components are checking out. Now you have to check the connections between them.

Let us know how you are making out.

right now ive checked the wiring loom, i used some higher rated cables and made a new loom up. discarded eveything that was not on the ignition system,soldered all conections directly to the pins on cdi/coil generator/ect:

still no spark !

so now ive put all loom back on.

today iam going to try my cdi unit on a guys bike ,so i will post the outcome of this test later. if this turns out ok it must be something at the generator/rotor side of things

but i have not checked reg/rectifier but i seem to be getting the dc voltas coming out of it

cheers again for all the help :D

Hey meismorph,

I'm sorry to hear that your still fighting this.

The one thing I didn't see if you checked is the kill switch.

I know on small engines it works by grounding the spark plug out.

This gives the spark a path of lesser resistance, thus it does not go to the plug.

I’m not exactly sure how it is connected on your bike, but it is most likely linked directly to the CDI. Stopping the spark before it is generated.

Exactly what year and model is your bike?

I’ll take a look at the Yamaha web site to get a look at the wiring diagram.

Maybe we can figure it out there.

Disclaimer, I'm no electrician, but the following worked for me on my 1966 Suzuki B100P (sold). Clean the magneto pickup points that send power to your CDI. Mine was giving off power, but not enough to activate the CDI. I sprayed WD-40 on them and voila! More spark than I'd ever had before! If it works, great, if not, doesn't cost anything to try. :D

thanks again eveyone for your time

right ive changed the rotor/flywheel still nothing.

ive not yet swapped the recgulator/rectifier, first i am going to recheck all the grounds and make sure the engine is earthed ok to frame. i have checked this before but i think the fault cold be something like this. i think all my components are ok. is there any test for reg/rect than will tell me this is ok.

i suppose i may have to take out the engine,clean up all connection points on frame /bolts ect and start from scratch. i will try wd40 on pickup coil also.

the year of my bike is 1999 tt600r (kickstart only model) belgrada.

thanks again :D

I'm aware that the horn on the TTR600 can also short out the motor - it's happened to me and a mate a couple of times, sometimes simply through a hunk of mud building up on the terminals. Try disconnecting it - worth a try before taking the engine out. And start building up a secret stash of cash for the bike - no one else needs to know!!

ive now tested all components on friends bike and everything works fine.

i reversed the orange(live) and the black(negative) to the coil and got a right shock from the plug ,also had a good spark but it wouldnt run. the spark seems to be travelling down the negative side of the plug and jumping back to the electrode. so when the plugs in it will be arcing across to the head. when i connect the wires the correct way i get nothing. its as if the frame is live and when i send the power to the coil this is causing a short of two lives. but i dont know how its happening could it be that one or more of the components is not earthed right

thanks for everyones help

Hi there,

Had similar problems with my '98 TT600R (Belgarda) and it turned out to be the CDI unit after a lot of work. I bought it as a non runner but managed to get it started in front of the seller. :D

Previously owned by a series of mechanically inept Numpty's (I think that's Redneck in the States!) I found loads of wire twists etc that needed fixing amongst other worn out & bent parts. I fixed the worse, started using it daily and it started stopping regularly, but never near a Pub! Classic black box fault, let it cool & it starts & runs, but of course you never believe it's that expensive electronic item, it must be something simple. What's more simple than a 600 single? The ignition system when Yamaha do it!

I removed EVERY electrical item, cleaned and checked each part AND disassembled the loom. I found plenty of places where the loom was rubbed through and repaired quite a a large portion of it, even a burnt bit by the exhaust.

I don't know if it is just me, the build quality on this bike is not up to other Yam's I've had, is it the Italians or the Financial Engineers that did it? It seem thrown together without much thought.

The side-stand switch was missing and looped out so I removed all traces of it ever being there from the loom as it's part of the ignition circuit. I even stripped the kill switch and relaced the wiring to "be sure". I stripped the carb, steam cleaned the tank & checked the fuel tap trying to cure the other annoying fault which if you rode it, would swear to be carburation. Everything was repaired and I was happy, so off I went for a ride only to get the usual 5 or so miles before it stopped. The "carburation" fault was still there too. I tried a different coil, it felt better and went further, (psychological hope!) but not much before dying.

The only option I could see was to replace the crank pickup, and/or the CDI unit, there's bugger all to the ignition circuit anyway, so if you replace all of it the fault must go away! The crank pickup was the cheapest option until I found out the 2 wires from it go through the loom with the generator, so you have to replace the whole generator. "Tosser's" I thought. (That's Monkey Spankers Stateside.)

I spoke to Dave Lambeth, VERY helpful, he sold me a new CDI unit and a used crank pick-up. (If you want his details let me know as I'm not allowed to advertise on here! Try Google.....) I fitted the CDI unit and it started easily and the carburation fault disappeared too. I didn't replace the crank pick-up.

I did find that as my bike is a TT600R and has no battery, any +12v short to earth kills the bike stone dead as it simply removes all power from the ignition system. This probably does the electronics in the CDI no good either and spikes it big time.

Does your bike have a carburation fault on full throttle, especially when you roll off it coughs big time?

Regards, Mike

• 1 month later...