your opinion please ktm 625 sm VS Drz 400 sm

im not sure witch i should buy... i like both but if only suzuki was doing a 500 to 650 sm would be great.

in here if i buy a 400 and want to do my driving test at the dmv i will be limited to a 400 cc and less

anything over 400 and you go unlimited on the licence plus i will do more highway than what i originaly thought 25 % highway 70 % town 5 % back roards

what do you think please...

the local dealers in montreal canada are asking 8200.00 for the DRZ and 10200.00 for the ktm

it still 2000 more plus sales taxes ( 15 % ) :D:D:D

but when i look at it.. i will pay this baby on a few years and i ask my self

Should i pay for one more year and get the ktm or not

so money is kind of a issue... but it's more a question of reliability and potency of thoses street machine vs maintenance cost etc etc etc

im sure that at the end the ktm would be more expansive to maintaine

insure and would it be worth the extra money

i want the best bang for my buck, but withoute going too cheap either

I'd go with the DRZ for two reasons:

1. You're just taking your test and the KTM is an animal - it's not a good first bike.

2. If you start doing more highway, neither bike would be suitable. They're both low geared for higher acceleration and do 100mph, tops. Both would expose you to severe windblast and would be buffeted badly by passing cars and trucks. So, don't think the KTM would be better for more highway work.

Ian

I'd go with the DRZ for two reasons:

1. You're just taking your test and the KTM is an animal - it's not a good first bike.

2. If you start doing more highway, neither bike would be suitable. They're both low geared for higher acceleration and do 100mph, tops. Both would expose you to severe windblast and would be buffeted badly by passing cars and trucks. So, don't think the KTM would be better for more highway work.

Ian

Well said :D In terms of reliability and ease of maintenance I'd choose the DRZ...although it really sounds like he needs more of a street bike than a SM. Perhaps a 650 Wee-Strom...or the DL1000 V-Strom can be had for at least $1000 less than the KTM and then you can run with the big dogs :D

well im 31 and a 5'10" at 225 pounds... and i cant realy loose weight... there is not a lot of fat on the meat

i have a little experience in moto cross and off roading and all so in some 4 weeled motorsports...

i first looked at the sv 650 dl 650 / 1000 and the bandit / the z-750 and most of the other semi nacked or crouch rocket

but what realy make my hair stand up and my spine schivers is a super motar

the raw power, naked look and all most gothic thumpering torture tool look it as.

i know it's not highway machines... but if you go back 20 years... all bikes were like todays retro racers, without wind jamers hard seated and raw.

i dont want a custom cruiser or a race rocket i want something different than the crowed around me and i want it to be raw and offensive to conservative minds !

sounds like a super motar to me ! my thumping freinds !

More seriously, im just affraid 400 cc would have problemes haulling my ass

and all the other types of bikes i sat on dident touch me like an SM

it's just the way it look feel smell and sounds

any reliability issue with the KTM of the world.. i know suzuki is good

my brother add suzukis for the last 25 years and never add major problemes

but KTM , i dont know them at all exept from what i saw in rally and other racing

my mind was set on a DRZ Sm but a few days ago i drove beside a KTM 625 Sm for a few miles and it just mesmerised me and ive been wondering about it since

If going the KTM route I would look into the Husqvarna SM's as well... Cause they are some of thesexiest SM's there are. I'm not sure if they are around the same price range though... And I take it up in Canada you can street legalize an originally non-street legal bike?

there is one dealer of KTM in my area and im not even sure if there is a husk ou usaberg or els ( more exotic ) dealer in town

there is a shit load of suzuki dealers every where... thats kind of reashuring

because i plan to travel the province a lot on my vacations weeks like a drifther :D

thats why im not sure of ktm

if only they add dealers every where

or if suzuki was doing the sm in 650 cc

i would pay the bike on a few years ( like 5 or so ) and im afraid that i would

out grow the bike before im finished paying it !!!

thats why a 600 cc plus , i think would give me more room to grow in

is it foolosh to think this way im i wrong :D

i got no idear...

With the money you saved from buying a DRZ, if you felt underpowered you have many options ranging from like 35-54hp to the wheels and you would still be paying about what you paid just for a KTM... That and DRZ's dont seem as high strung or high maintenance as a KTM. I could have sworn reading someplace you have to adjust the valves every nine hrs. on KTM's too, could be wrong though.

My buddy has the KTM 625 dirt version...I will say that there is no comparison once so ever when it comes to power....The KTM will eat the drz.

I'm happy with my drz....but it is fun to ride his bike once in a while.

I went through this same decision myself about a month ago, and came to this conclusion:

The KTM is going up around $1300 for next year and the dealers know it so they won't budge an inch...almost like lame-ass Harley Dealers.

KTM parts are expensive and harder to find...I think a oil filter is like $25?

Oil changes are a lot harder to perform on the KTM...my friend has a 525 and doesn't even mess with the oil changes 'cause it is such a pain!

KTM has a lot of sweet parts on the SMC (WP susp., Magura clutch, dual exhaust) but IMO I like adding on the extra parts to make my bike "different".

Don't know for sure, but I have heard the SMC vibrates a ton (dealers won't let me ride it!)...I rode my cousins Husky 610, and after 10 minutes had to get off of it because everything was numb. I have heard they vibrate as much as the Husky.

All in all, I bought the DRZ and haven't looked back...sure it would be nice to have 225cc more, but for that price I just don't think it is worth it IMO!

I don't know how it is plating dirt bikes in Canada, but another option is to find a kitted and plated XR650. In my mind that would be the ultimate street going motard. Gobs of power, unbreakable reliability and parts are plentiful. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

ktm, for sure!!

drz is 35hp and you are not light. Oil change is not a problem. If people can't follow 4 step instruction to change the oil , they shouldn't own a bike!! :D

Anyway, I have a 640(2001)SM and it get borring very quick , I can't imagine having a little 400. I rode the DRZ a couple month ago and trust me it is very boring especially if you are going to be doing some higway. Anyway, just my 2cents..

((I have a 640(2001)SM and it get borring very quick , I can't imagine having a little 400. )))

How come it gets boring, or is it discomfort?

while I ride many hours on DRZ, only flat stuff do I get bored. I would like another ten horses and a 6th gear so I could hunt Big Game easier, but just wondering on the Boredom or is it discomfort?